1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need DVD Recorder with DV in but no HD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Matt F, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I need one for archiving stuff off my Pace Twin, for copying VHS material (that you can't get on pre-recorded DVD) on to DVD and for copying camcorder footage onto DVD. It will also be used for playing DVD films.

An obvious choice would be the old Panny E65 but reports of it being really picky over DVD-R discs puts me off. The new range of Panny recorders seem to be appearing but not the replacement for the E65 yet - wondering whether it might be better to wait for that one.

Then there's the new Sony GX210 but there seem to be a few problems with this one.

There's also the Tosh D-R1 which is a bit dearer but seems to do everything I need.

Finally, there are also, of course, a few of those DVD/VCR combi players which would make archiving from tape neater but I don't know how they perform.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Matt.

2. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seems to be loads of obscure makes out there that cost around £100 - £150 that have the firewire input, one even named after me "Wilson"

No idea how good they are though.

3. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    I may be willing to sell my Panasonic DMR-E20
    This has DV in.
    When I upgraded I put this upstairs to use as a DVD player.
    Unfortunately it is not multi region which limits my use to R2

I would be willing to sell it for £160 +pp

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry Steve - I forgot to mention that I need multi-region too.

I see JVC have just brought out a new one (JVC DRM100SEK) that does everything I want BUT I can't find anyone doing a multi-region one!

Matt.

5. Neil Goodwill

Neil Goodwill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you thought of a Pioneer DVR-5100H-S?
    This has firewire in/out and is multi region. I have just bought one on ebay for £213. Pioneer don't make them anymore, but they were £600 in 2003 when they came out. :hiya:

6. JTF1972

JTF1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not get one with a HD? The difference between not having a HD and having one is night and day to me. Sure there is the extra time involved of recording and then burning, but the ability to edit is invaluable!

I went from a Philips unit to a Panasonic with HD, and never regretted it (but miss the +RW)

7. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    There is no need for you to record to the HD.
    You could record straight to disc in the same way that you would on a machine without a HD.
    However, machines with HD tend to be a lot more expensive.

8. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
  9. Neil Goodwill

Neil Goodwill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you decided later to use a hard drive with this Pioneer you could connect an external firewire one to the DV in/out. You could also connect to a pc for transferring of MPEG2 files. :)

10. Bloomsburybill

Bloomsburybill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried a JVC DR-M10, the predecessor to the DR-M100. I cannot imagine how so many faults could have developed all within one machine. I was not prepared to risk the DR-M100 as a result.

I tried the Sony RDR GX210. Even if the RGB problem was fixed, I still wouldn't like this machine, for reasons given elsewhere (see my previous postings). I think the theory that this is an LG with a Sony badge glued onto the front (OK, with a slightly different box) is sound. Certainly the software is identical to a previous LG model.

Then I got the Sony RDR GX700. Bliss! As this machine was discontinued a while ago they are not easy to find. But if you do find one, there is the potential for haggling down to a reasonable price. The i.link has some clever stuff that enables you to do your editing of video footage on a DVD-RW and then make copies (with the same edits) on further disks. I haven't tried it yet.

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Then again a HD gives you more flexibility.

Recording straight to DVD-R allows you only one chance to get it right and what if you want to edit out the ad breaks? Won't you need to stay and oversee the recording in process.

Whereas a HD will allow you record from VHS in the highest quality and you don't have to be accuraate at the start point and end point.
    You will be able to leave it to record on it's own and come back later and edit out any leader, ads and excess. From here you will get the optimum quality on the final DVD-R either by high speed dubbing or using 'flexible record' depending on the length.

Have a real think about it before you buy if you're sure you will NEVER need the HD facility.