1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Counter-Strike tips, strategy, tactics for old timer

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Pbryanw, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I used to play Counter-stike alot - a couple of hours a day. Then I lost interest and stopped playing for a couple of years. Now with CS: Source released I've tried getting back into it but I am now, officially rubbish :thumbsdow

I don't know whether Counter-Strike has moved on since I last played but all my old tactics no longer work - crouching down just before I fire, jumping round corners - maybe it's a case of the reactions getting slower or just a lack of practice. I just get killed straight away and it's disheartening, especially when I used to be half decent (had 5:1 kills/death ratio, now it's the other way round) :confused: .

Anyway I was wondering if anyone out there could give me any tips, tactics or strategies that have worked for you when playing Counter-Strike.

Thanks

Val

2. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    I don't hink you need to do anything new, just need to get back into the flow of things again. Same with anygame really, if you don't play it for a while then you lose some of your 'skills' unless you keep them sharp. So just stick with it, and afaik crouching and firing still helps.

3. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Yeah, I reckon it's a matter of practice too. I only play once or twice a week where I used to play a couple of hours a day so I suppose I shouldn't expect to be near the top of tables yet. Although sometimes, very occasionally, the old magic comes back and I get a good score like in the olden days[lets out wistful sigh]. It's just getting killed when I know I shouldn't and missing people I would have killed back in those olden days - it's a little bit annoying. Anyway practice it is then :thumbsup:

4. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Practice makes perfect. And don't forget the AWP(M) rules. 1 bullet + 1 head = 1 Kill.

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    All I can say from one old timer to another is keep with it (I'm 38 so old in terms of CS;)). When I started playing 5 months ago I was getting my ass kicked every game getting scores off 8-25 if I was lucky:( I was completely new to CS though so wasn't even familiar with any of the weapons, maps and found it hard even identifying who was friend or foe :thumbsdow
    Now I can hold my own against some good players and even get some fairly good scores to boot :eek:
    I'm now a member of the [WW] clan and we can be found here www.weekend-warriors.net we are recruiting at the moment if you wish to play along side a group of friendly and over time familiar faces. We currently have a server but we are just about to change host to an 18 slot server so I'll post the address and you can join us for a game when we finally change.

You could always use xfire or steam friends to find me for a game (see the stick on steam gamer tags;))

Practice does make perfect so you'll probaly improve over time. I'm now capable of getting score like this from time to time;D

I found this website good for tips etc:-

http://www.planethalflife.com/cs/strategies/general.shtm

and found this usefull for buying scripts:-

http://www.csbanana.com/csb_page.banana?page=303&PHPSESSID=664ae3c8fb5cc48e6ca8bbe66b660a79

and if you need to sort your rates out here:-
    http://www.clan-uke.co.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=40

Attached Files:

6. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Thanks for all the information Hawklord. Back in the olden days (okay it was only three years ago but it seems like a long time) I was approached by a clan but had to turn them down because I was too busy with Uni work at the time. Sometimes I regret that decision and wonder what being in a clan would have been like. Although now it'll take a fair bit of practise before I can think about clans again.

Also a big thanks for the buy script. I used to use something similar but have forgotten completely how to go about making one so this seems an ideal way to construct one.

I was also wondering if it's worth practising against bots. Again back in the old days I used PODBOT to fill up the servers but they were a bit cack even at the highest difficulty levels. I've tried playing against the new CS:Source ones and they a lot harder at their highest difficulty level but I assume they'd be no substitute for playing against real humans would they???

Last of all 32 : 4 - not bad for 5 months practice :thumbsup:

(EDIT: I'm off now - time to get some practice in)

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    The current Bots are meant to be a lot better than they used to be (I can't comment as I do not know what they were like before;)). I've had few games with them myself and have found them to be quite good. If you have them set on the highest difficulty their marksman skills are too good though imo and you die as soon as they see you:(. If your looking for a bit of practice offline then they're ok for target practice but nothing can replace real competators imo.
    Rather than using the bots I'd search around for some public servers that have mature like minded players with admins present. I have opted to play on servers where the standard of the players is much better than my own. You can learn a lot more about the best styles of play from those that do it best. You may get mullered a lot more initially but over time you will learn from the better players what works and what doesn't. I have improved lots over the last few months and have learnt a lot from the players who have been playing CS for years. If you find a good group of people they're more than happy to show you the ropes and give you tips to a successful and ultimately more enjoyable game.
    come join me for a game sometime my gamer tag is [WW] Hawklord if you want to find me on friends:) or come play on some of the servers i play on:-

[A-LAN] CS:S Public #1 ip 83.245.15.133:27015
    [A-LAN] T-OcUK CS:S #1 ip 83.245.15.133:28025
    X51 | CS:SOURCE | SERVER #1 ip 82.136.16.64:27025
    X51 | CS:SOURCE | SERVER #2 ip82.136.16.64:27035

I'll be on at various time today.

8. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    Cs:Source is in dire need of some attention imho - the reg is awful on many servers I've played on, there's alot of dodgy stuff where I've killed people and they've not even been in my crosshairs. Plus, unless you have a ninja PC the framerates when lots is going on is terrible....need a good framerate imho. Until my PC gets alot better, I'll be sticking to 1.6 or CZ.

9. goronwy

goronwy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0