1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need cooling advice - components in cupboard

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by Turkey Shooter, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Turkey Shooter

Turkey Shooter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having followed several threads some time ago I eventually purchased a Pioneer PDP 43XDE plasma and hung on wall with a hidden drainage pipe running down under floor and into an adjacent cupboard where I have housed the tuner unit and a Denon AV amp and DVD player along with computer base unit, telewest box and a few other bits.

It all looks great with the screen on the wall and nothing else seen until I open the cupboard.

Only problem is it all gets too hot with the doors closed, even though I vented the floor of the cupboard which allows a small airflow from beneath the house.

Has anyone got any ideas of a way to cool down the cupboard without excessive noise? There is not a lot of space left. I did have a tower fan in there which worked until it packed in (cupboard still felt very hot) and it was a bit noisy.

I have searched web for small air con unit but they all seem to be way too big to be of any use in this scenario.

Thanks

2. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I guess you will now have to add holes in the back to cool it down.
    Maybe an even bigger vent in the floor?

I have used extra heatsinks on the processors or top of the cases of my AV stuff.
    Not sure how effective they are, but there is at least the psychological benefit.

I decided to split my AV stuff into two very large cupboards to allow more space between each unit and thus double the airflow and halve the heat output of each cupboard.

If you live alone you can always turn the central heating off and open all windows :).

3. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    To state the obvious - heat rises. You need to create some airflow by venting the heat at the top of the cupboard. That way the hot air rising out of the cupboard will pull cooler air in from the beneath and cool everything. If I understand your current design the cupboard will 'fill' with heat before it starts to vent at the bottom.

Failing that some big slow PC fans running off a DC power supply might help to draw heat down but you're fighting against the way the air wants to flow.

I know how much heat this stuff packs out - especially the Telewest box. My cupboard has no back and it still gets warmer than I would like.