1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need composite or s-video from 7SC

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mparadis, Sep 4, 2005.

1. mparadis

mparadis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using an 7SC Extron to output into an NEC projector. The projector auto changes between modes while the 7SC's output is fixed at 1024x768.

Most of the devices going into the 7SC are s-video while input 1 is an HDTV device passing through. I'm then using VSC200 connected on the RGB secondary output of the 7SC to get my composite or s-video output.

The problem is... when I switch to the HDTV device, I get a blank white screen on the VSC200's output. I realise that this is because of the HDTV signal but I'm stumped since the other inputs work fine on the fixed 1024x768 output of the 7SC into the VSC200.

Any thoughts on this?

2. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Some questions, first:
    What is a VSC200 and what does it do?
    What is your source?
    Does the 7SC have an HDTV-specific input? It's not enough to simply have an RGB or component input, it has to be HDTV capable, and not everything does that by any means.
    Nick

3. mparadis

mparadis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a PC to NTSC scan converter (http://www.extron.com/product/product.asp?id=vsc200). The 7SC has a second buffered output which I then feed into the scan converter.

So, the 7SC scales everything up but one device which is already HDTV on input one, that one is only pass through and that's the one which won't work. I need ONE single output from the 7SC that is either s-video or composite and that's where the VSC200 comes in. It's connected on the 7SC's second output. It down converts everything to s-video or composite. However, it does not down convert the HDTV signal and that's what I need, something that will take ALL inputs coming out of the second 7SC output and scan it down to standard video.

On the VSC200, when the 7SC inputs are s-video devices, it sees the sync rates as H33.76 and V60.02. However, when I switch the 7SC to it's input #1 which is an HTDV device, the VSC200 see's the signal as being out of range at H15.73 and V59.94.

I need to either be able to change the settings on the VSC200 if possible, or find a device that will output what I need or change the settings on the 7SC's output while not affecting it's primary output into the projector. What I don't understand yet is that the VSC200 can handle higher than 1024x768 as an input yet the 7SC is outputting at that rate so, what's going on?

Mike

4. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Well, there's a challenge!
    What is your HDTV source?
    Is it PAL or NTSC?
    Can you get it to output ANYTHING useable, even SD through s-video or composite?
    What are the inputs on your NEC - do you have VGA, RGBHV or component?
    Nick

5. mparadis

mparadis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's NTSC and yes, I can see the s-video and composite signals on the output of the VSC200 that is connected to the secondary RGB output on the 7SC. The problem is that the VSC200 will not sync down to the H15.73 that I need for the HDTV signal. All of the others are viewable but not the HD. I need to find another Extron device that will go down to H15Khz and allow for the other signals as well which are H33.76. Or, perhaps there is some way of tuning the VSC200? I've not found an easy way of searching the Extron site for solutions based on the sync rates handled.

The projector is connected using RGBHV but it's not the problem. I need the second RGB connection on the 7SC to output into another device that will give me an s-video or composite output on what ever I put through the 7SC.

Mike

6. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Am I being a bit simplistic, but switching aside, can't you just remove the VSC200 from the chain and connect the 7SC directly to the PJ by RGBHV? NTSC shouldn't come into it, and the PJ is probably multi-sync.

Nick

7. mparadis

mparadis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, we just got lost somewhere :). The 7SC IS connected to the projector and the other sources are connected to the 7SC. Everything works perfectly on that side of things. What I have is a secondary buffered RGB output on the 7SC which I need to use to get a standard composite video image of what ever the 7SC is putting out.

So, I'm connecting the other device to the 7SC's RGB output but need it to down convert to composite. The device I'm using works fine for all of the inputs other than the HDTV which is pass through on the 7SC.

Mike