Need cheap solution to eliminate echo in large room

B

BWD

This is not about a home theater, but it does involve improving accoustics. I'm not sure where else to go to get advice—I know nothing about accoustics.

Scenario

• Size: 50 x 36 church sanctuary.
  • Orientation: Room is oriented horizontally, so the seating is wide rather than deep.
  • Construction: Floor is concrete. Walls are either poured concrete (smooth) or drywall. Ceiling is drywall with "popcorn" texture.
  • Limitations: We cannot afford carpeting (have already blown the budget!) or expensive sound dampening solutions.
  • Challenge: As you might expect there is a lot of echo in the room.

A friend suggested installing a pattern of furring strips vertically on the walls to break up the surface. Does this sound realistic? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

BWD

Egg cartons stuck on the walls lol. Not sure it would look too good though.

This is not about a home theater, but it does involve improving accoustics. I'm not sure where else to go to get advice—I know nothing about accoustics.

Scenario

• Size: 50 x 36 church sanctuary.
  • Orientation: Room is oriented horizontally, so the seating is wide rather than deep.
  • Construction: Floor is concrete. Walls are either poured concrete (smooth) or drywall. Ceiling is drywall with "popcorn" texture.
  • Limitations: We cannot afford carpeting (have already blown the budget!) or expensive sound dampening solutions.
  • Challenge: As you might expect there is a lot of echo in the room.

A friend suggested installing a pattern of furring strips vertically on the walls to break up the surface. Does this sound realistic? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

BWD

Have you done something to up-set your friend? That suggestion would look ghastly and wouldn't work.

Rather than strips stuck to the walls or Egg Boxes consider CHEAP .. oops beg their pardon .. Inexpensive Rugs on the floors, Cushions on the furniture and hangings on the walls.

But how Low in price do you have to go?

Here you will find stuff from Ikea ..

Floors ...

IKEA | Textiles | Rugs | Anti-slip & underlays | Door mats

Cushions and throws .. which throws could double as wall hangings ...

IKEA | Textiles | Cushions & throws | Blankets & throws

In your Churchly surrounding you could afford to stretch yourselves a bit on Wall Hangings and go Beyond Ikea to ...

Arazzo Tapestry for life

and then look at the very Medieval ...

Untitled Document

Or Churchly ...

Untitled Document

The basic Idea is to soften all of those HARD reflective surfaces with suitable SOFT surfaces.

It needn't be all that expensive and to test the principle all that you need to do is hang up borrowed hangings and fill the room with borrowed rugs and cushions before you buy Stuff that Will suit your own tastes and surroundings.

I wish that I had a 'problem ' like yours. :devil:

I suggest that you go for the " Just Returned From The Crusades " Theme for Interior Decor. :devil:

Who needs televisions ' Changing Rooms ' anyway? Themes ? I can DO that. :D

Arnold.

Where are you? I have a suspicion that you aren't in the UK. This forum is UK based though we try to help elsewhere.

Look at the mirror reflection points and hang rugs or acoustic foam panels, side walls floor (and ceiling) in that order of importance.

A good floor rug, and a few panels might make a noticeable difference :smashin:

Thanks to all who responded. Am exploring the various options suggested.

Re: not being from the UK. :oops: I didn't even notice that this was a UK based forum. I repent. What gave me away....on second thought, I'm not sure I want to know.

Regardless, thanks for your help. It is appreciated.

BWD

Thanks to all who responded. Am exploring the various options suggested.

Re: not being from the UK. :oops: I didn't even notice that this was a UK based forum. I repent. What gave me away....on second thought, I'm not sure I want to know.

Regardless, thanks for your help. It is appreciated.

BWD

What gave you away? Well, let us be frank ... it was your accent. Chiefly it is the distinctive way in which you Roll your RRR s. :devil:

Being a large sanctuary I would imagine working on the princibles of first and second reflections isn't quite so simple if there is going to be a very large seating area within the room (i.e. every point on the wall is a first reflection to at least one seat!).

Just hang some rugs on the walls to start softening down echoes. Wall rugs etc etc.

Being a large sanctuary I would imagine working on the princibles of first and second reflections isn't quite so simple if there is going to be a very large seating area within the room (i.e. every point on the wall is a first reflection to at least one seat!).

Just hang some rugs on the walls to start softening down echoes. Wall rugs etc etc.

The OP being Beyond The Boundaries of The Empire .. as, you will have deduced, I too did suspect .. my own suggestions on wall hangings may not be appropriate other than as an example of what is possible .. dunno though :devil: .. I bought quite a lot of art work from U.S. of A dealers when the exchange rate worked in my favor and now that it is the other way round European Artwork in the form of Tapestries or wall hangings might work out as being reasonably priced.

I've several times, on the forums, advocated hanging car rugs, throws or even Duvets from temporary hooks and moving things around in experiment. I was tempted by....

http://www.ffcais.com/indian-rugs.html

But most of my rugs are Persian and sit on the Floor.

Hooks here ...

Amazon.com: suction hooks

The laser pointer idea may well be a teeny bit overcomplicated .. temporary hangings on movable Hooks positioned according to best judgment is probably the best idea .... and it would be FUN. :D

Arnold.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom