• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Need cheap but excellent optical cable

clockworks

craig777 said:
Check out ebay... loads of 'em on there.

Or this looks like a good deal... http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/...5/profigold-pgd561-optical-cable/display.html

They lost me when they said that the tip was gold plated for optimal signal transfer. Utter tosh - how can gold plating help transfer an optical signal?

Don't bother spending more than a fiver on an optical cable. Analogue interconnects do affect sound quality, so it's worth buying decent ones. For digital, it makes no difference to the sound - it either works, or it doesn't (over short distances).

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
I quite agree about the merits of digital cables. But I will say that the Profigold is a good, tight fit. That's all there is to worry about IMHO.

Russell

John

My £5 maxview ones I bought from B&Q 4 years ago are still going strong

John

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
russ.will said:
I quite agree about the merits of digital cables. But I will say that the Profigold is a good, tight fit. That's all there is to worry about IMHO.

Russell

I think Russel has this right, the important bit is to get tight fit and a fibre that transmits the information well. I wouldn't look at the cheapest optical cable you can get, but pay a few ££s extra and get a well built one, the Profile one here are a good example. It is not expensive to do it right and is generally worth it in the long run.

pjclark1

Almost anything works, I usually pay about £1.50 for a TOSlink cable. When I need a longer cable I just tape two together with a lolly stick and some sellotape like this.

toslink4ol.jpg

They work perfectly, as usual.
PS If you think your cable is a bit loose, bluetack will do the trick ....... why pay more?

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
The 3m cable talk one I have is 'too heavy' and produces undue strain on the sockets preventing the link working :) I think it is the gold plating. Perhaps sellotape will make it work better :)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom