1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need camcorder advice

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Fox28, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Fox28

Fox28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I'm looking for is a godsend!!! Or to put it more frankly I need major help from you guys as I really am out of my depth here :suicide: . What I'm probably asking is the impossible but I am looking to buy a digital camcorder for no more than €800.

I want to try and get a camcorder with a high optical zoom (20x or higher), a high CCD size (no less than 1.3), DV-in/out, AV-in/out, USB, a memory card and to be small and light.

The camcorder should be able to take digital shots (hence the reason why I want a high CCD and the memory card), good sound quality, have steadycam and night shot mode. I don't care too much about special effects as I hope to do that later with software.

What format do people reckon? I hear that DVD still has a few glitches so I had thought MiniDV but if anyone thinks different then let me know. Is there anything else I should be looking for in a camcorder that I have forgotton?

So anyone there have any suggestions? Also does anyone know of a good place to buy online for a camcorder at a good price or one that allows you to buy now and pay later which provides 0% APR over a time period and that also delivers to Ireland.

Tall order :eek: ? I thought so but if you can help it would be much appreciated. Thanks :lease: .

2. Applespider

Applespider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I suspect you are asking for the impossible. Most of the cameras with larger CCDs have lower optical zooms for what appears to be a variety of reasons - most obviously that if you're looking for quality, you're going to see severe camera shake at 20x even with steadycam on if you're handholding it.

I bought a Sony HC90 which only has a 10x zoom but has most of the other features you listed. It's got a 3.3 megapixel ability for still shots to a memory stick and while the shots don't match my 3.3 megapixel digital camera (just as its video doesn't match my HC90), it's not bad for shots that you'd print out at snapshot size. It was just over £500 so it is in your budget.

And yes, if you want to edit yourself, then MiniDV is what you want - although you'll want to check your computer has firewire to make it easier.

3. Fox28

Fox28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a feeling I was asking for the impossible :( . I guess I'm going to have make some sort of sacrifice somewhere. Thanks for the feedback Applespider.