Need Cabinet Ventilation Suggestions

MSL92

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello AV Forum! I'm relatively new here and I just upgraded my system with a Denon AVR-3700H. Amazing sound, but wow, does this thing get hot! I have it in a cabinet that has a lot of breathing room on top and on the sides, but with the door closed it gets really hot. I was looking at some AC Infinity Aircom fans on Amazon yesterday and was thinking of getting one that sits on top of the receiver. Was also considering adding another fan to mount on the back to ventilate (AC Infinity Airplate S3). So, I have a few questions:

1) Receiver fans: do you recommend AC Infinity? Are there other brands to consider?
2) Fan exhaust direction: I'm thinking exhaust to the rear if I do install the cabinet vent fan. Or to the top if I don't need a cabinet vent. Anything to consider for exhausting to rear vs top?
3) Cabinet Vent Fan: Do I really need one? Would seem so, otherwise the hot air just stays in there. But, what a mess that's going to make!
4) Cabinet Intake Vents: Do I need to add an intake vent, too? My cabinet has a great Southwestern design with triangular cut outs, 3 in each door and one on the side, so 7 total for this side of the cabinet (see photo). They're each about 2 x 1.5". Do you think these cut outs will provide enough airflow for intake vent? I'd really rather not have to put too many holes into this cabinet and make even more of a mess!

Thanks in advance for your input. Who knew one purchase would lead to so many questions!

IMG_1499.jpg

PS, like that old 200 CD carousel?! :)

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I'm having a custom AV cabinet built & have opted to install this:

If you got the same. In your cabinet, I'd install one of the 2 fans in the side of the cabinet (nearest the floorstanding speaker), set to suck cool air into the cabinet. Then the 2nd fan at the back - if there's a gap between the wall & cabinet behind the AVR - to draw warm air out.

If the cabinet is against the wall, install the 2nd fan in the top of the cabinet (directly above the AVR), to exhaust hot air out.

Changing the direction of airflow on the fans is easy. As described on the AC Infinity site:

"Fans are set to exhaust air out the frame but this can be reversed to intake air using a screw driver"

Here's a link to optimum fan placement:

Also the thermostat display means you can set the fans to switch on at a preset temperature.

Hope this helps.

Hi Jester,
Appreciate your input. Here's what I'm thinking...If I add an exhaust fan with almost 2x the CFM needed for the cabinet, and add an intake vent, will I need the on-unit fan like the Aircom? I'm thinking that if I create enough airflow, in from bottom, out at top, this might do it. I ordered the Airplate T3 which is similar to the T8, but only has one exhaust fan (no intake). I'm hoping this will do it. If not, I can add another fan for intake. With this setup, do you think it will eliminate the need for an on-unit fan?
Thanks!

Hi Jester,
Appreciate your input. Here's what I'm thinking...If I add an exhaust fan with almost 2x the CFM needed for the cabinet, and add an intake vent, will I need the on-unit fan like the Aircom? I'm thinking that if I create enough airflow, in from bottom, out at top, this might do it. I ordered the Airplate T3 which is similar to the T8, but only has one exhaust fan (no intake). I'm hoping this will do it. If not, I can add another fan for intake. With this setup, do you think it will eliminate the need for an on-unit fan?
Thanks!
Hi,

The fans can be configured to either intake or exhaust. So since you've already ordered a T3 - I'd just try that as an exhaust fan either in the cabinet above the AVR - positioned towards the rear of the top, if that makes sense. Or mounted in the rear panel of the cabinet behind the AVR - if the cabinet isn't tight against the wall.

To create the airflow you could just use a grille in the bottom of the side panel to passively pull cold air in (something like this):

Or even just drill some small holes in the side of the cabinet.

Here's a useful way to calculate the airflow needed based on cabinet dimensions & fan sizes etc:

cabinet-fan-guide-3d.jpg

This should tell you if 1 T3 set to exhaust is enough.

*Providing the T3's CFM airflow rating (which is 52), is higher than the calculated (recommended) CFM airflow for your sized cabinet - using the formula above. You won't necessarily need the addition of the Aircom on the receiver itself.

If it isn't, you can then (as you mentioned) replace the passive grill with another fan set to intake.

Note: in my particular circumstance the recommended airflow CFM calculated was on the limit that a single T3 could handle, which is why I opted for a dual intake/exhaust fan configuration. Particularly as the recommended airflow CFM is based on optimum environmental conditions. Which in reality never occur in a "real world" situation. After all there's no such thing as too much ventilation!

Last edited:
Hi Jester,
That's the calculation I used from the AC Infinity site. My recommended CFM is 31, so I'm hoping the T3 will be more than enough. I like that grille you shared and will likely order one tomorrow.
Thanks for your help. Looking forward to seeing your custom cabinet when it's done!

Hi Jester,
That's the calculation I used from the AC Infinity site. My recommended CFM is 31, so I'm hoping the T3 will be more than enough. I like that grille you shared and will likely order one tomorrow.
Thanks for your help. Looking forward to seeing your custom cabinet when it's done!
Happy to help!

I'm hoping to do a build thread for my cabinet, so keep an eye out for that! Unfortunately covid has caused a number of delays, but progress is being made - slowly.

Hi @Jester1066,

Yesterday I installed the Airplate T3, which you can see in the back right corner. Today I set up the Aircom T9, top exhaust. Here are preliminary results at a moderate sound level:

Measured with T3 probe:
99 degrees: Doors closed, fans off
94: doors open, fans off

With T3 on (set at 85):
95: doors closed
91: doors open

With T9 set at 82/T3 set at 79:
81/77: doors closed

I'll have to wait until the girls go out to see how higher volumes affect temp and temp regulation, but for regular viewing, this is perfect.

Thanks for your help!
IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1503.jpg

Looks great. Are those readings with the fans set to maximum speed?

Hi
I wonder if you could post a link of where you bought the fans etc, i think I may need to do the same in my cabinet when i finally get around to installing the amp
Thnaks
Al

Hi
I wonder if you could post a link of where you bought the fans etc, i think I may need to do the same in my cabinet when i finally get around to installing the amp
Thnaks
Al
You can order direct from:

They ship to UK. Amazon/ebay stock some Acinfinity stuff too.

No, trying to minimize their sound levels. Probably 50% on the Aircom and the lowest setting on the Airplate.
The first readings with the Airplate only were at maximum speed. The plate couldn't cool the cabinet enough all on its own.

Hi
Thnaks
Al
Hi Woodsie,
Yes, I got both fans (and a grille coming today) from Amazon. With Prime free/one day delivery, it's a no-brainer for me. I did use the AC Infinity website to see manuals and calculate airflow as Jester posted earlier.
Good luck!

The first readings with the Airplate only were at maximum speed. The plate couldn't cool the cabinet enough all on its own.
Based on this. I'm glad I've got 2 fans going into my cabinet 🙂

Hi Mate
I have just checked Amazon, you may have had the last one, they are showing no stock, can you post a link to what you got, It may be me searching wrong, they have this in stock, but Im worried it may not be enough to cool on its own
Amazon product ASIN B00QFXC4MSThanks
Al

Hi Mate
I have just checked Amazon, you may have had the last one, they are showing no stock, can you post a link to what you got, It may be me searching wrong, they have this in stock, but Im worried it may not be enough to cool on its own
Amazon product ASIN B00QFXC4MSThanks
Al
Amazon's AC Infinity stock is pretty erratic tbf. If you want to check if the item above will be sufficient to cool your gear, use the formula above (Post #4) to work out the CFM needed based on your cabinet dimensions - and add an extra 10% to compensate for inefficiency. Providing the recommended CFM calculated is less than the fans own CFM rating you should be ok. I'd also add some passive intake vents/holes or grills in the cabinet and set the airplate to exhaust configuration.

Edit: Post 2 also includes a link that details optimum fan/grill configurations for maximum efficiency.

Last edited:
I'll have to wait until the girls go out to see how higher volumes affect temp and temp regulation, but for regular viewing, this is perfect.
Had any chance to do further tests yet mate?

@Jester1066
Ok, girls went out this afternoon and I queued up David Byrne's American Utopia from the DVR. We had seen this show in 2019 on Broadway before the pandemic and planned to go again when he circled back around to the NY area (now, maybe in 2022?). At volume level 90 (out of 100?), the sound, depth, clarity, and imaging were awesome. I had to put in my larger center speaker because the smaller one was not keeping up with the other speakers and the power of the new Denon receiver.

the AC Infinity combo worked perfectly. T9 fan was set at 4 bars and 82 degrees, T3 at 1 bar and 79. Both units maintained set temperatures. I assume if T9 is set at a lower fan level it would still maintain temp, but at that volume level, who cares?!

I am really happy with the performance of this AC Infinity combo. Although it would have been great if the T3 worked on its own, that was wishful thinking. The only measurement I haven't taken is the T9 on its own. I don't think it will be any better than the T3's performance (hot) since the hot air will stay in the cabinet. But, at some point I'll check it out just for fun.

Jester, thanks again for your help!

I told my wife that the audio sounds so good, now it's time to upgrade the television!

Jester, thanks again for your help!

I told my wife that the audio sounds so good, now it's time to upgrade the television!

Your very welcome!

There's always something that needs upgrading. This hobby certainly ain't the cheapest!

Couple of observations if I may:

At volume level 90 (out of 100?), the sound, depth, clarity, and imaging were awesome.

Your volume scale is currently set to the "absolute" scale. I would change this to the decibel (relative scale). Here's an explanation of the difference:

This is a good explanation too:

Probably best not to listen at a level of 90 for extended periods as it can cause hearing damage.

I had to put in my larger center speaker because the smaller one was not keeping up with the other speakers and the power of the new Denon receiver.
Whenever you change a speaker or move it's position (even slightly), you need to re-run the Audessey calibration setup. As this will ensure all your speakers are working in harmony with your room acoustics etc. So if you haven't done this since changing the centre, do it.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom