Need buying advice for two phones

eamner

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello. I hope this is the right place to ask this question. Let me know if not.
I am buying replacements for both my wife's and mine. We don't replace our phones frequently but our current phones are pretty worn off now.

For my wife I'm considering the following phones:
REDMI 9A, BLU G50 5.5, BLU G50 MEGA.
They all have more or less the same specs and are in the same price range (~ $100).
Before you say "how dare you buy such cheap phones for your wife", let me tell you I have a very limited budget, and also my wife is not a "power" user. She just needs a durable phone with good signal reception, and she needs it for basic social networking (whatsapp mostly) and taking and watching basic photos and video. She's not a gamer nor needs ultra settings for her photos.
I know Xiaomi is a more respected brand than Blu, but the mentioned Blu models come with fingerprint sensor (not that she really needs it) and in theory have better specs. Also, I prefer the G50 5.5 over the MEGA, because I'm afraid she would find this one too big.
She currently has a Blu Dash C Music. Yes, you read that right. So virtually any phone will be a huge improvement.

Now, in my case I am a little more demanding. But still I have a limited budget so I need a mid range phone.
I have narrowed my options to:
POCO X3 NFC, REDMI NOTE 8 PRO, REDMI NOTE 10, REALME 6.
All these phones are more or less in the same price range (~ $220) and have all the basic stuff that I need. I don't need more than 64GB but I need a fast, durable phone with good signal reception, capable of taking good photos (not necessarily "professional") and basic gaming. I come from a Moto G5+.

I've been doing a lot of research but I could use some final advice. Additional suggestions for phones not mentioned here are welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi, hopefully you will get some response to your question , however this is primarily a UK based site so you may not …

Upvote 0
Hi, hopefully you will get some response to your question , however this is primarily a UK based site so you may not …
Hello. Well, these phones are internationally unlocked, and I'm planning to buy from US Amazon, so my question is mostly regarding the quality of each phone and the best option given my budget. I've seen European reviewers on YouTube so I assume someone could give me some generic guidance.
Thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0
I would have a Blu even if it's half the price of the Xiaomi Resmi 9a.. we had a brand new blu phone and the camera stopped working shortly after buying..waste of money.. build.quality was excellent for a cheap phone but that's no good if it's unreliable.

Xiaomi any day. Easy decision..go for the 9a out of those 3.

As for yours Im sure they're all good so it depends what specs suit your needs ... personally i would prefer snap dragon rather than media tek and amoled rather than non amoled .

Upvote 0
Bought my wife a REDMI NOTE 8 PRO, later my wife bought a Samsung. What can I say REDMI NOTE 8 PRO will be more reliable, battery can last 2-4 days with active use of the phone. Games can drain the battery quite quickly. The camera is very good not as good as the iPhone but not much worse.

Upvote 0
Bought my wife a REDMI NOTE 8 PRO, later my wife bought a Samsung. What can I say REDMI NOTE 8 PRO will be more reliable, battery can last 2-4 days with active use of the phone. Games can drain the battery quite quickly. The camera is very good not as good as the iPhone but not much worse.
Thanks to all who took their time to reply.
Just wanted to inform you that I ended up buying a Redmi Note 10 for myself and a Redmi 9A for my wife. After reading many reviews, seeing many videos on Youtube and considering your responses I think these were the best choices (given my limited budget).
I must say that I haven't yet tested them because these are supposed to be Christmas gifts -both for me and my wife-... so they're still in their sealed boxes. Hopefully they'll work as expected.
Rgds.

Upvote 0
Thanks to all who took their time to reply.
Just wanted to inform you that I ended up buying a Redmi Note 10 for myself and a Redmi 9A for my wife. After reading many reviews, seeing many videos on Youtube and considering your responses I think these were the best choices (given my limited budget).
I must say that I haven't yet tested them because these are supposed to be Christmas gifts -both for me and my wife-... so they're still in their sealed boxes. Hopefully they'll work as expected.
Rgds.
I'm sure you won't be dissapointed, you'll see a big improvement with both devices. Enjoy. And happy christmas.

Upvote 0
Also in the frame for a new phone as wifes Xiaomi MI A2 Lite just started suffering from 'ghost touches' after 3 years use. Guessing it is a touch screen issue after extensive google searches and views of a couple of repair shops

Interesting thread and will have a look at the recommended models for my/her own needs. I have same model and will probably give her mne and get new one for myself as she will be familiar with the operation

One comment - id still in sealed boxes what happens regarding warranty and/or Christmas Day disappointment if you open and find an issue with either phone?

Upvote 0
One comment - id still in sealed boxes what happens regarding warranty and/or Christmas Day disappointment if you open and find an issue with either phone?
That was my concern too, so a couple days I actually opened the boxes and turned them on, just to see if they started fine (I neither configured nor installed the Sim cards). Since they showed the "start configuring" screen, I'm assuming they're OK. So I put them back in the boxes.
If not, too bad for me. I don't live in the USA so it would probably be more expensive to return them and get the replacement back, because of the shipping fees.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom