• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Need Bass

TiberiiusDrake

Standard Member
I just bought some Wharfedale diamond 9.1s. Very good, nice detail, an excellent 40 quid spent. I do however need more bass. I currently have them set up with a VERY old goodmans amp but the plan is to get an onkyo 507 or sony dh800. Havnt decided yet. Anyone got any good ideas for some speakers with more more bass? or indeed a good subwoofer. I'm a student, so i have small budget, 100 quid roughly for each piece (willing to break this for a great deal). However if there's somthing over please mention, it might be worth a look in in the future etc!

Thanks!

TB

I just bought some Wharfedale diamond 9.1s. Very good, nice detail, an excellent 40 quid spent. I do however need more bass. I currently have them set up with a VERY old goodmans amp but the plan is to get an onkyo 507 or sony dh800. Havnt decided yet. Anyone got any good ideas for some speakers with more more bass? or indeed a good subwoofer. I'm a student, so i have small budget, 100 quid roughly for each piece (willing to break this for a great deal). However if there's somthing over please mention, it might be worth a look in in the future etc!

Thanks!

TB

If you want GOOD bass rather than just more bass and are getting a 5.1 setup, then IMHO £100 isn't going to cut the mustard.

If I were you :cool: I would post a question in the sub Forum about getting one of the smaller BK subs.:smashin:

TiberiiusDrake

Standard Member
Haha, yeah, i thought id get a reply like that. Im willing to go over, ideally i want names though, as there are good deals on ebay to found!

Haha, yeah, i thought id get a reply like that. Im willing to go over, ideally i want names though, as there are good deals on ebay to found!

It wasn't meant to be funny I was serious. BK do occasionally sell on Ebay but usually its to order & you didn't mention used.

I have an almost new Eltax £100 sub (used for less than 1 week) which frankly sounded awful. I was merely attempting to save you the same grief.

TiberiiusDrake

Standard Member
nono, i know what you mean, bad subwoofers are awful, and in my esperience they are the hardest thing to get on a budget. Elatx seem a bit odd, some stuff is great, other stuff is awful.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
I'm curious how long you have had the Diamond 9.1's?

If it is less than 3 weeks, then the speakers probably aren't broke-in yet. I have Diamond 9.6 and it really took about 3 weeks for the bass to start to come out of them.

When I first got them, I was playing them with the Bass control on full, now if I turn the bass up at all, it is too much.

Keep in mind I racked up quite a few hours of listening in that three weeks because the speakers were being used for both music and TV listening.

Also, I tend to agree with others, there is nothing in the way of a Sub that you can get new for £100. The lowest Sub you would actually want to have is going to be at least £200 new. Though you might find something used.

Steve/bluewizard

TiberiiusDrake

Standard Member
I say 'just', about a month. I've used them everyday, probably about 4 hours average. I use them for films, gaming and music. Its not that they don't have bass, more that there isnt quite enough 'umph' as it were. So I'm just looking for a pair that will when i get around to making a proper 5.1 etc. yes, I've been looking for months etc and this does seem the consensus. I'll just keep an eye out. or save up!

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
If you get a 5.1 system, then the deep bass will come from the Sub, and using or changing your existing speakers won't matter.

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks!

TB

change your amp that goodmans amp wont do your speakers any good :smashin:

TiberiiusDrake

Standard Member
lol no it wont damage them but it will make them sound really bad and you will propley miss out on giving your speaker the full bass and high end sound that they need .

HAHAHA, lol, i got scared there, couldnt figure out how it would damage em! Yeah, thats true, i did have more bass on another set of speakers. It wasnt great, but there was a lot of it however. so i figured that because there was the lack it was the speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom