Need AVR Advice

Is there a way to use only the audio from the TV to AVR while the cable box, NAS and other devices provide the video to the TV?
Yes, three options, depending on what your exact devices are, as I don't think you have said?

1. Connect devices to the TV and pass the audio through the AVR via HDMI ARC or eARC

2. Connect devices to the TV and pass the audio through to the AVR via optical / toslink

3. Run two cables from the sources - one to the TV for video and one to the amp for audio.

Exactly. Maybe something is wrong with my unit.🤔 The picture from the cable box to the TV is very clear, but the picture from the avr is not the same when using the same cable. The difference is not as clear. I turned off upscaling and that helped a lot, but the picture quality is still not the same. Therefore, something is going on in there. I turned-off everything from the AVR's menu to were I can only use the front panel only. The picture quality is still not the same from the AVR like it is from the cable box.

Is there a way to use only the audio from the TV to AVR while the cable box, NAS and other devices provide the video to the TV?
I would have to agree with @Nutty667 . It's a digital signal, so unless you have some form of AVR video processing switched on, the AVR can only repeat the digital signal it receives, so it cannot be degrading the signal unless the unit is faulty.

Think about it logically - quite apart from the digital signal issue, if AVRs routinely introduced video degradation, no one would ever connect any and video generating equipment to them. Clearly not the the case.

Depends upon the source, the TV and the AV receiver. The best option would be to connect the sources directly to the TV and then use eARC to convey the associated audio from the TV to the AV receiver. Both the TV and the AV receiver would need to be eARC enabled though and some TVs like recent LG models may still have issues being able to passthrough anything encoded with DTS audio.

eARC can passthrough both SD and HD formatted 7.1 audio as well as multichannel PCM. Basically this is the same as you'd ordinarilly get via a direct HDMI connection.

ARC can only passthrough SD 5.1 formatted audio and is limited to 2 channels of PCM data. The best you'd get via conventional ARC is DD+.

S/PDIF optical is even more limited and unlike the 2 ARC options, cannot convey HD formattted audio, multichannel PCM or DD+.

Last edited:
Depends upon the source, the TV and the AV receiver. The best option would be to connect the sources directly to the TV and then use eARC to convey the associated audio from the TV to the AV receiver. Both the TV and the AV receiver would need to be eARC enabled though and some TVs like recent LG models may still have issues being able to passthrough anything encoded with DTS audio.

eARC can passthrough both SD and HD formatted 7.1 audio as well as multichannel PCM. Basically this is the same as you'd ordinarilly get via a direct HDMI connection.

ARC can only passthrough SD 5.1 formatted audio and is limited to 2 channels od PCM data. The best you'd get via conventional ARC is DD+.

S/PDIF optical is ecen more limited and unlike the 2 ARC options, cannot convey HD formattted audio, multichannel PCM or DD_.
But then you have a much longer audio signal path, potential lip sync issues, and potential ARC/HDMI CEC shenanigans.

I'd rather feed everything through the AVR.

The problem was the Yamaha AVR. I returned it and got the Denon AVR with pre-outs for all channels; I have an amp for the pre-outs. As far as the Denon is concern, video thru HDMI (eARC) was not degraded like the Yamaha: very subtle, but nothing is like video from the cable box straight to the TV. I heard some audio delay this way. hmmm...🤔 I went back to connect HMDI to the Denon: nothing to complain about because the difference is just too subtle. Anyway, the Yamaha was just plain awful. Setup on the Denon was super easy! When the TV goes-on, the Denon lights-up and ready to go! Thanks to this forum, my problem is solved.

Now I need a center channel.😁

Denon and Marantz AV receivers usually exhibit more degradation due to their video circuitry than you'd experience with a Yamaha model. This is due to the manner in which the video circuitry is employed onboard these receivers.

Yes, you'll more than likely get better results if making a direct connection to a display, but you'd then lose the convenience associated with the source and video switching of the AV receiver.
That's strange that you say that. For my Marantz I've obviously turned off all processing and scaling except the repeater for onscreen graphics, but the picture quality stil seemsl great otherwise.

That's strange that you say that. For my Marantz I've obviously turned off all processing and scaling except the repeater for onscreen graphics, but the picture quality stil seemsl great otherwise.
I agree. there is no visible degradation of the video signal caused by routing it via an AVR (assuming no AVR processing is active) . It's a digital signal. If it was degraded, it wouldn't work.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom