Need av receiver and some help, MA BX5 acquired already

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by al4x, Sep 4, 2012.

1. al4x

al4x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi, need some help with my new plan

Right now I have my Htpc passing through video and audio to my 3D av receiver and this then being sent to my 5.1 speakers and tv by hdmi

My current setup is
    Htpc gpu with 1. 4a hdmi
    Yamaha v371 which is bottom of the pile
    Boston acoustics soundware xs

I know Ineed to uupgrade the amp, would prefer to stick to Yamahabut not eessential
    Problem is I will probably want to keep my 5.1 current set until I have a 5.1 set based around bx5 and whatever I get in future (I'm guessing it would be silly to run the bx5s as fronts in a 5.1 with the speakers I have as rears!)

How do I proceed? Do I need 2 amps? Or would the receiver I'mgoing to get be able to run bbothsseparately? I really don't know how to proceed.

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    You have a few options considering you have all the equipment already.
    There would be no issue running the BX5s with the BA as rears so no real worries there. The thing that may not sound good is the BA centre with the BX5s but you could run a 4.1 system i.e. remove the BA centre and let the BX5s create a phantom centre. You could try it with and without the centre and see which you prefer until you can afford the proper BX centre. Your current receiver will not get the best from the BX5s but should power them OK.
    You could get a speaker switch so could connect the BA and BX speakers to your front L/R outputs and then switch between the speakers depending if you want to listen to stereo sources or a 5.1 source.

3. al4x

al4x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Originally I was planning to upgrade the receiver first then centre speaker, BA centre really isn't up to the job

What route would you go down? I didn't think my receiver would handle the bx5s at all

Thanks for your response

4. al4x

al4x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Just to confirm these are the monitor audio floorstanders

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    Although the BX5s are floorstanders they are not a particularly difficult speaker to drive so your current receiver will be fine powering them. If will not get the best out of them (although you will probably be getting the best from the receiver!!!) but it should still sound OK. I would personally get the centre and then upgrade the receiver.

6. al4x

al4x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    OK ill go with that, I kind of regret getting the BA system, although it'sa ok for movies, it definitelylacks in for music and the centre channel sounds hollow and crowded , but it's my first time I had anything more than a cheapo stereo. I have the funds to get either the centre or upgrade receiver immediately so might be on the look out for the it

Thanks for putting the time in to reply, I really appreciate it

7. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    No probs, get the centre and then save up for a good receiver. You would be really be looking at something like the Denon 1913 or Onkyo 616 to power the BX to their full potential.

8. al4x

al4x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'll have a proper look into avs, will need to learn a bit too, I don't really understand the real differences between models beyond the numbers