Need AV and speaker upgrade

BFG

We have a LG PF1200 projector with a 106" screen. Small square room 4x3m, used for movies only. No neighbours to worry about.

The 5.1 to be replaced is an old Bose which is very popular due to its lack of ugly boxes on the walls, but it is now failing so here's an opportunity for an upgrade.

I'd welcome some suggestions for a 5.1 or 5.1.2 set up please. Budget about £3k for AV and speakers. I could stretch that a little but I want to upgrade the projector to 4K next year.
Size will remain a factor for front and middle speakers. Rears and sub can be any size. If I go atmos I probably won't be ceiling mounting them.

Re height - the centre of the screen is 1.7m above the floor and that's where the little jewel speakers are currently, as any lower and the sound stage didn't match the screen. Is that a factor if I were to consider floor standers?

I like the ide of slimline AVs but what I've read means probably more compromise than I'd like. I'm sure lifestyle speakers like Bowers & Wilkins MT-60D would go down well. I've seen a few 5.1 packages e.g. Monitor Audio Bronze 200 AMS 5.1.2 AV Speaker Package
I like the idea of separates, as I quite like the idea of a powerful sub, but that makes selection even more complex.

Denon AVC-X3700H for AV ?? I don't need HDMI 2.1 and 8K yet but I like future-proofing.

But I'm just drifting through reviews really. Some pointers would be great before I start looking for demos :)

Last edited:

password1

Distinguished Member
Are you looking for traditional speakers or speakers as small as possible or a discrete solution?

Can you show us a picture of the screen so we can see how much space and possible speaker positions?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom