Need assistance setting up Kenwood KD-500 turntable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by IanSD, Nov 27, 2018.

1. IanSD

IanSD
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks in advance. I am new to HI-FI so please excuse my lack of knowledge. This turntable was my late Fathers. I can't seem to figure out what parts I'm missing regarding connecting the RC cable to the turntable/arm. I have attached 5 images. Two images are of the bottom of the turntable. I have also attached a detailed picture of the model number plate and of the turntable itself. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. JBA6

JBA6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ian,
    The cable whose photo you included is not one for a turntable, I'd guess it's one that would have been used to connect a tape recorder to a pre-amp or amp. According to the information on the Vinyl Engine (VE) website the correct Kenwood KD-500 tonearm cable is terminated in an EIA plug-in connector the 4 pin socket for which I think is visible in your 135314 photo. It looks as if the full user and service manuals for the turntable can be downloaded from the VE website. If you can't find the correct cable and are keen to use the turntable it was also sold without an arm so you could always fit another arm in place of the Kenwood original.
    JB

3. IanSD

IanSD
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  4. JBA6

JBA6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Two problems with this suggestion.
    1. You don't have the flying leads shown in the final Ebay photo coming from the SME arm available to solder to the RCA sockets. You would have to push wires into the 4 holes in the socket and figure out which one goes to the 4 pins on the pick-up cartridge and then figure out some way to keep the wires securely in place.
    2. You would have to figure out some way of mounting the RCA socket assembly to the turntable under the arm opening.
    If you could solve these problems and it all worked then it would be an inexpensive solution.
    JB