Need an overview of AMX programming

asimmittal

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am an AV installer and wanted to know a little more about how AMX products are programmed. I don't want details about the languages and syntax as such, only an overview of the tools involved

For example, if you consider a small amx setup with a net linx controller and a touch panel and a controller for lights and air conditioning. Now the user interface for the touch panel is designed in the TP4 Designer. This is apparently an IDE for designing the UI that goes onto your AMX touch panels.

Someone has told me that all these IDEs (for e.g. NetLinx Studio and TP4 Designer etc) allow you to create project files. All these project files are programmed onto the net linx controller and it internally manages distribution of the software between various components like the Touch panels at other hardware.

If that is the case, then every time a touch panel gets damaged, will i have to go to the site and reprogram the touch panel through netlinx controller.

Is it not possible to preload the touch panel's part of the software and ship it to the site.

My service engineer tells me that the programming of the touch panel (i use a Modero touch panel) can only be done through the controller over ethernet. I somehow, feel that this may not be correct. If this indeed is correct, how do i replace touch panels conveniently without sending a person to the site everytime something goes wrong????

I need someone to explain to me what part of the software goes in where and which ide is it designed in. I currently have Netlinx studio and TP4 designer running on my computers. Doesn't AMX support distributed programming where in i can program each component separately and integrate them. I understand that they may have gone with the centralized programming approach to make this convenient, but if so, this is turning into a service nightmare.

Please advise by explaining a noob like me about the broader picture. What are the filetypes associated with each part of the project... which IDEs use them... and how do they all come together.

Thank you.

Touchpanel files can be uploaded directly to the touchpanel by changing the Master Communication setting within the touchpanel to Virtual Master.

Depending on the touchpanel, direct connection to the PC would be either USB or Ethernet.

Once the file is uploaded, the Master Communication settings, within the touchpanel, would then be set to that of the relevant Netlinx Controller.

Thanks a tonne. Is there any possibility that you sir, might be able to give me a more detailed account of the procedure involved. I did see an option called "transfer file to panel".

Now can you please tell me how the connectivity settings may be changed for ethernet. I tried configuring the touch panel's network settings. I was able to see the touch panel on my local wi fi network.

Now how do i get the application to connect to it?? I'm sorry for the inconvenience and imposition on time, but it is very important for me to know this info.

Im using TP4 Designer v2.11.0, build 619, and it says "AMX USBLAN: not installed".... a little more guidance would be a lifesaver.

Thank you
AM

Last edited:
I downloaded the AMX USBLAN driver... but during the installation a message box with "Unknown: 6.1" appeared.

When i rebooted my computer and looked up the help > about box... it still showed "AMX USBLAN: not installed". Why is this happening? I'm using windows 7.

Also how do I download the "Web update" component. I couldn't find it on the website.

THanks,
AM

Have a look at the help file for TPDesign4. All the procedures are fully detailed. With the help file open, select Index then type in Virtual.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom