• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

need an advice......

r3b78

Standard Member
good day to all.... im a newbie for this home theater speakers... i need some help for choosing a good av receiver for my wharfedale moviestar 60+ and a pair of vardus 400 floorstanding speakers.... im a music lover and a bit of movie watcher please need help and guidance.... thanks for all help you can give.....

dante01

Distinguished Member
The warm nature of your speakers is best suited to the more clinical sounding AV amps. Sony, Pioneer and Onkyo are all associated with being clinical in nature.

What is your budget for the amp and do you need compatibility with 3D?

If you don't require the 3D capabilities associated with HDMI 1.4 then I'd suggest the Sony STRDA2400ES for just £250:
Sony STR-DA2400ESB 7.1 Channel AV Receiver in Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

The HDMI 1.4 Pioneer VSX920 is also good value for money at £360:
http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/pioneer_vsx920.shtml

Last edited:

r3b78

Standard Member
thank you very much mr dante.... i forgot to say that i also plan to go only 5.1 set up i will not use the other two sattelite speakers and put my vardus as my front...
i like also the 3d ready but my main concern is the use for listening to music im much a music lover.......
will the yamaha dont suit for my speakers...
or which do you think the best for my wharfedale....
onkyo, pioneer or sony? i really want to hear it play really great....
thank you again mr dante hope to have more enlightment.......
to all the guys out there pls pour on your suggestion before i decide to buy an av receiver....:)

dante01

Distinguished Member
thank you very much mr dante.... i forgot to say that i also plan to go only 5.1 set up i will not use the other two sattelite speakers and put my vardus as my front...
i like also the 3d ready but my main concern is the use for listening to music im much a music lover.......
will the yamaha dont suit for my speakers...
or which do you think the best for my wharfedale....
onkyo, pioneer or sony? i really want to hear it play really great....
thank you again mr dante hope to have more enlightment.......
to all the guys out there pls pour on your suggestion before i decide to buy an av receiver....:)

I'd currently rate the Yamaha RXV667 to be the best value for money below £500 and better than any of the amps so far mentioned. You can currently purchase one for just £350 due to Yamaha temporarily reducing its price by £100 as part of a promotion. After saying this, I'd also have to say that your speakers wouldn't be the best or ideal partner for use with a Yamaha amp, although many do use warm sounding speakers with Yamaha amps and say that they are happy with the results.

I'd try to audition both the Pioneer VSX920 as well as the Yamaha RXV667 if I were you.

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
A 7.1 AVR will output 5.1 just fine and in fact to get an AVR with good musical performance you are going to have to look up the range and all these will be 7.1 if not more. If music performance is your primary concern you may be better with a stereo amp instead since a stereo amp will outpeform an AVR costing around 3 to 4 times the price of the stereo amp i.e. a £100 stereo amp will be as good if not better than up to a £400 AVR. Your Wharfedale speakers may not pair well with warm sounding recievers like Yamaha/Denon/Marantz hence the suggestions of makes by Dante. The 2400 represents great value for money at the moment and well worth a listen.

r3b78

Standard Member
thanks to you again guys

now my choices are down to three:
pioneer
sony
onkyo

here my speaker specs this may also help you guys to have the most of the setting and amp or av receiver that could really match my budget and taste...

wharfedale:
vardus 400
freq res. 40hz -20khz
rec amp power 10 to 150w

moviestar 60+
sattelite spk x5
freq res. 140hz-20khz
rec amp power 10 -100w
sub:
freq res 90-150hz
amplified 100w

i know that my required amp must be 100w per channel
need only know the good features and the real amp or av receiver i will try
and dont forget that i want a 5.1 set up not to put the other satt spk to just to have 5.1
i also want to watch movies also and feel the movie sounds.....

thanks in advance guys your really a big help

dante01

Distinguished Member
Your sub isn't going to be much use to you and only goes down to 90Hz. This is usually the point at which all frequencies below that point are sent to a sub. Your satellite speakers are also going to cause problems given that they can't handle anything below 140Hz. Bass management is going to be a major issue regardless of the amp.

The amp need not be 100 watts. THe wattage rating of your speakers is their handling ability and not their required power input. The power handling of your speakers isn't an issue and you shouldn't need to use these figures when deciding upon the amp.

r3b78

Standard Member
it means that i need to change my moviestar cause it may have a problem it did not match and the bass management oh my god that it a big problem

r3b78

Standard Member
mr puma
i have seen some sherwoods, all of these pioneer,onkyo,sony and yamaha it can be ordered through some hifi stores here...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom