Need amp for Monitor Audio RS8s *Please Advise*

elvetost

Established Member
Reaction score
:thumbsup:Hi guys and welcome to my thread!:thumbsup:
I am looking for some advice on an integrated amp to match my monitor audio RS8s. I love my speakers and used to run them by a NAD 372 and have always thought they were slightly underpowered. I would consider anything in the £300-£400 and would be prepared to ebay it or source it as ex dem as I would be probably getting better music for my bucks!
I have had my heart set on the Roksan Kandy 3 amp for a while now but have not audiotined it yet. I would also love the idea of a Musical Fidelity A3 (or A3.2) as they seem to fit my price range (ebay) and have only heard good things about them. I also like the looks lol:thumbsup:
Anyways any ideas/suggestions coming this way will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks ALL in advance!:hiya:

Hi! Thank you for the reply. I have had a chance to listen to the A3 on dynaudio speakers and was very impressed!:D I do not know how the RS8s would fair though. Any more suggestions? :lesson:

second hand Arcam maybe? Alpha 10, FMJ A22 if you get a good bargain.

I was looking at the MF (A3.5) and Roksan's too. Went for the Roksan in the end as it was more in my price range. Don't buy without an audition; the MA/Roksan pairing is quite a forceful one, and not to everyone's tastes.

Hi Elvetost,

As a Meridian fan I cannot help myself but refer you to two ebay items:
1. Meridian 505 Monoblocks: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Meridian-505-...ryZ14973QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
2. Meridian 557:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Meridian-Ampl...ryZ14973QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
3. Meridian 551 (Integrated): http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Meridian-551-...oryZ3280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
As a Meridian G02/G57 and a former 101/105s owner I can only praise their amps.
Even the 101/105s (Pre/Monblocks) were a huge improvement over my former NAD 317 let alone the G02/G57 combo.
Breath taking clarity, sensuous mid range, sense of large scale, excellent bass control, sense of volume/3D and all of this for a very good price as a second hand. Also, Meridian service in the UK is excellent (at least from my experience).

My two cents,

Doron

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Or - keep it simple (and cheaper) - get an NAD C272 and bi-amp - just an idea!

:thumbsup:Hi guys! Thank you very much for your suggestions! :thumbsup:

Proupakis, I do not particularly like the arcam range, but thanks very much!:D

Lazymatt, thanks you for pointing out that it would be a forceful combo. This is what I am after actually so all good!:smashin:

Doron Or, Thanks for the links! I do like the meridian range and have heard a G1, G57 combo, it sounded awesome! I think that is a bit out of my price renag though (lol) but the ones you pointed out look very nice indeed. A pair of the 505s would be nice with a nice pre-amp!:clap:

Sniper, I used to run the RS8s with a NAD C372/C272 combo biamped and biwired, and wan not extremely happy with the results. Sure it was loud and clear but lacked soul and dimension a lot! I would say that for the money they are good amps.. I am currently using a NAD T163/973 combo for my 5.1 running Quad 21l, 11L, LCentre and Lsub. That sounds very good for movies (wish I had bit more space) and would prolly like to try another manufacturer for my stereo system! Thanks for the suggestion anyways!

Cheers guys for posting!
:lease:Please keep coming up with suggestions and links (thanks Doron again)!!!!!!
:hiya::hiya::hiya:

:thumbsup:Hi guys! Thank you very much for your suggestions! :thumbsup:

Proupakis, I do not particularly like the arcam range, but thanks very much!:D

Lazymatt, thanks you for pointing out that it would be a forceful combo. This is what I am after actually so all good!:smashin:

Doron Or, Thanks for the links! I do like the meridian range and have heard a G1, G57 combo, it sounded awesome! I think that is a bit out of my price renag though (lol) but the ones you pointed out look very nice indeed. A pair of the 505s would be nice with a nice pre-amp!:clap:

Sniper, I used to run the RS8s with a NAD C372/C272 combo biamped and biwired, and wan not extremely happy with the results. Sure it was loud and clear but lacked soul and dimension a lot! I would say that for the money they are good amps.. I am currently using a NAD T163/973 combo for my 5.1 running Quad 21l, 11L, LCentre and Lsub. That sounds very good for movies (wish I had bit more space) and would prolly like to try another manufacturer for my stereo system! Thanks for the suggestion anyways!

Cheers guys for posting!
:lease:Please keep coming up with suggestions and links (thanks Doron again)!!!!!!
:hiya::hiya::hiya:

You are very welcome!
Glad you liked the G01/G57 combo.
By the way, some Meridian 541 analogue processors tend to show up on e-bay from time to time and their are similar to the 501, cheap and can serve as an excellent pre-amp for the 505s.

Good luck!

Doron

You are very welcome!
Glad you liked the G01/G57 combo.
By the way, some Meridian 541 analogue processors tend to show up on e-bay from time to time and their are similar to the 501, cheap and can serve as an excellent pre-amp for the 505s.

Good luck!

Doron

:thumbsup:Yes that G01/G57 would be ideal... I am in the process of asking my dad for a small loan and may consider bidding on them! God dont they look sexeh! Thanks for the ideas Doron I may join the meridian crew sooner than I thought!:clap:
Cheers,
Chris:hiya:

:thumbsup:Yes that G01/G57 would be ideal... I am in the process of asking my dad for a small loan and may consider bidding on them! God dont they look sexeh! Thanks for the ideas Doron I may join the meridian crew sooner than I thought!:clap:
Cheers,
Chris:hiya:

Good Luck!!!
You will not regret.
By the way here is my setup (attached photo).
MySetup.JPG

Cheers,

Doron

:clap:Hi Doron. This is a nice set up! Well done!:clap:
I am still in a one bedroom flat for the last month before I go back home to Greece. Then I got a place lined up there to stretch out! AT LAST! :thumbsup:
Now i got my MSc I might get a job and earn some serious money at last! Then I'm in for a good upgrade lol....
Good work man! Cheers, Chris

:clap:Hey guys! Just a bump to let everybody know i finally got my amp sorted! I went for an integrated amp in the end, a TACT audio SDAi 2175. I am extremely pleased with my purchase and cannot stop praising this beautiful amp. Featuring the groundbreaking semi-digital amplification technology(solid state pre-digital power) it easily puts to shame amps costing 3 times as much (rrp 1400). The grip on my very demanding and bitchy to drive RS8s is firm and authoritative, the highs are clean and subtle, the mids rich and full and the bass can only be described as amazing!:clap:
I would recommend a listen to all especially if you are in the market for a compact solution and dont want to spent thousand for pre-power configs. It is certainly serving me very well and has made me fall in love again with my MA RS8s that now play to their full capability (now I understand how good they are)
I got a tube cd player with balanced outputs and 24bit/192KHz upsampling coming soon too, so I CAN NOT WAIT!!!!
Thank you to all the people that have posted here for me!
Cheers, C:hiya:hris

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom