Need amp and source recommendations for SVS Ultra bookshelf speakers

Petraki

Standard Member
Reaction score
I’ve just done a deal for some SVS Ultra bookshelf speakers and need an amp and source.

For the amp I’m looking at the Emotiva BasX A2 as I cannot find an integrated amp with enough of an output. I would like to make sure I drive the speakers properly to get the most out of them.

For the source I would like something that is either capable of streaming, or at least have some means of playing music files as all my music is in electronic format. I would also like to run my tv through it and get rid of my soundbar and sub. The wireless streamers I’ve looked at either don’t have any pre-outs, HDMI ports or built in EQ’s.

Any suggestions would be massively appreciated.

They're pretty sensitive speakers. Most integrated amps will drive them pretty well, unless you specifically want to go down the pre/power route?

You seen this?

They're pretty sensitive speakers. Most integrated amps will drive them pretty well, unless you specifically want to go down the pre/power route?

You seen this?

They’re not THAT sensitive at 87dB. I would rather drive them with at least 150w than use an integrated amp that advertises as having 100w per channel and only doing around 50w realistically.

They’re not THAT sensitive at 87dB. I would rather drive them with at least 150w than use an integrated amp that advertises as having 100w per channel and only doing around 50w realistically.
Fair enough if that's what you want, but that sensitivity in an 8 ohm speaker, that dips to 4 (I think)is not going to be a difficult load for a lot of amps, imho. I mean the manufacturer recommendation is only 20-150 wpc. Hardly the stuff of nightmares.

Fair enough if that's what you want, but that sensitivity in an 8 ohm speaker, that dips to 4 (I think)is not going to be a difficult load for a lot of amps, imho. I mean the manufacturer recommendation is only 20-150 wpc. Hardly the stuff of nightmares.
I know I could probably get away with using less power, but I have always erred on the side of caution and made sure I have more rather than not enough power. It will only do the speaker a disservice.

I’ve just read an interesting review of the SVS Ultras where they claim the speakers have an impedance of 4 Ohms rather than the advertised 8. This makes choosing an amp a bit more tricky.

I’ve just read an interesting review of the SVS Ultras where they claim the speakers have an impedance of 4 Ohms rather than the advertised 8. This makes choosing an amp a bit more tricky.
Where did you read this?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom