1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need aircon recommendation

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Stuart Wright, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,617
    Hi folks,
    I am looking at options for an aircon unit installed in the loft space above the single-garage sized home cinema.
    There is plenty of space up there and we need something which will both heat the room up in winter in about 20 minutes - it gets VERY cold in there. And also keep it cool in the summer - it gets very warm.
    TIA.

2. benwillcox

benwillcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi Stuart,

Well I've just gone through an exercise myself of looking at various options for air-con. You'll obviously want something as quiet as possible so that rules out the all in one units which make a right racket.
    So that probably means you'll want a reverse cycle heat-pump split system.

I've just posted some info about the system I've ordered in the thread 'Ben's new cinema room'.

As I said there, there's loads of cheap split systems on ebay, but watch out as the cheapest ones need to be professionally installed (don't know if you were planning to diy?) The next level up they come pre-charged with refrigerant and complete with pipes etc, but usually you're stuck with the exact length of pipe that they supply (about 3 or 4 metres). I also went for an inverter model as they are supposedly quieter with better temperature control.

Have a look at http://www.global-cooling.co.uk and drop them an email and I'm sure they will be able to advise what type and size of unit would be suitable, they were very helpful when I contacted them.

Cheers,
    Ben

3. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29,770
    Have you looked at the DIY install split ones that B&Q sell? It would give you a starting point to compare other systems to if it wasn't what you wanted.

Dave