1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advise on what HDTV for £2000

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Neoki, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Neoki

Neoki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey i am currently looking for a new tv to be HD (360 ready) and has enough scarts for dvd player and sky+. Please can you give me your choices and why.
    Thanks for your time
    Neoki :lease:

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    may I recommend having a look over in the LCD forum, there are several discussion threads of a similar nature that might help yo.....hang on a minute!

:p

Seriously,have a look around, there's plenty of stuff to be getting your teeth into.

3. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Any reason that you have chose LCD and not Plasma? might be worth taking a look at both technologies.

4. Neoki

Neoki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    reason being i heard lcd are better picture and with HDTV they are better as well. Well if you advise plasma more give me a reason and i will listen

5. Neoki

Neoki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so you cnt help me

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    We could help you if you give us a bit more info to go on. My comment still stands though - there are lots of people looking for recommendations on here.

7. 4bp

4bp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the same problem as neoki.
    i have 2k to spend on an lcd (or plasma). i can only fit a 37". it needs to be hd ready, i will be connecting sky+, dvd player and ps2/3. i have changed my mind what to get so many times and i am now going round in circles!!! i have considered LG RZ37LZ31, toshiba 37wlt58, phillips 37PF9830 (slightly too expensive) panny 37pv500
    someone please help me and steer me in the right direction!!!

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I would certainly put Loewe TV's on your shortlist. Xelos (different versions not just screen size and can be loaded with optional extras) and Spheros (different versions and expandability like the Xelos) are the ones to look out but the Spheros is probably out of your said budget. The Spheros is an amazingly natural picture, the Xelos is extremely good too but the optics on the Spheros bring it to another level. Forget electronic gizmo's and marketing catch phrases, Loewe know how to make a quality product with the minumum of fuss using proven design and engineering principles.

9. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    and also the jvc 37ds6

All those are good TVs and you probably can pick any and not go wrong.

I know a lot of people come on here looking for a guarantee. You won't get one, but we can steer you away from the lemons.

Seriously, stop worrying, get out and take a look at your already good shortlist and see which ones float your boat. Choosing a TV isn't just about image quality - will the set look OK in your house, do you like the remote? Stupid stuff can make a difference.

10. Neoki

Neoki
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok i know what you said makes sense. But it is image quality im after. So can you list the top 5 within the price range. Plasma or LCD

11. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    You are going to get a lot of different opinions... from what I have seen (in no particular order)

Tosh37WLT58
    JV37DS6BJ
    Sharp37GD7

These are models I had on my shortlist and I am currently favoruing the Tosh (after originally favouring the JVC) - if I can get the Tosh from John Lewis at the price I want £1599.00 then that is the one I will get... its a good, solid TV.... mind you so are both the others with perhaps the Sharp edging in in terms of raw picture quality but only when fed a good signal (e.g. DVD via HDMI or component) - it seemed to handle SD broadcasts less well than both the others... just my opinion.

12. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I still think that LCD has some catching up to do on plasma with regards to picture quality.

Agree about the Leowe range though, they are great pieces of kit.

I think the only time a good LCD beats a good Plasma is when connected to a PC, generally speaking of course.

13. 4bp

4bp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    northeren - why did u change your mind from the jvc to the toshiba? any paticular reason? i seem to have gone the other way.
    also where are u trying to get jl to price match with?
    thanks
    dan

14. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The only real reason is the extra HDMI connector... in terms of picture quality I found it very hard to distiguish between the JVC and the Toshiba (although this was testing the 32inch JVC against both the 32 inch tosh and 37 inch tosh - can't seem to find a 37 inch JVC anywhere) - also there seems to be a few places with the Tosh in stock whereas the JVC is proving slightly more elusive.. final point is that the 37 inch Tosh is sold by John Lewis which means if they price match I will get a 5 year warranty aswell (extra piece of mind).

Also in the back of my mind I still think of JVC as a bit of a budget brand (Tosh as an average type brand) - its weird why I have this sort of mindset as its not relfected in the build quality of the JVC (which is comparable to the Tosh). In terms of style I like them both - the JVC is a bit more attractive due to the piano black surround but the Tosh grew on me....

Any reasons why you have gone to the JVC from the Tosh?

As for price match its against crampton & more.

15. 4bp

4bp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think i have changed my mind just due to the styling really, i think the jvc looks a lot better. but the problem is i havent sen either with a high def source, i saw the tosh this weekend with a dvd demo and was quite impressed (but not overly). i still quite like the lg RZ37LZ31 but am being put off due to the lack of connections.
    do the tosh and jvc both have progessive scan?

16. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have seen the 32 inch versions running a HD demo - they were almost identical in terms of quality... I reckon most good HD-LCD's will look superb with HD feed without any trouble at all.

As for styling, the Tosh is very understated... took a while for it to grow on me, whereas the JVC was an immediate good first impression... I do like the very thin screen surround on the tosh though - accentuates the size of the picture.

As for progressive scan.. yep, I assumed all HD LCD would be prog scan... am I worng?

TBH - I don't think you would go wrong with eitehr the JVC or the Tosh - both good LCD's!!

17. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Have seen a Loewe Xelos A37 LCD for £2,150 at divineaudio.co.uk should be a v good set. Anyone seen a review of one