Need advise on new CD Player

titanax

Standard Member
Heloo boyos,

Its been so long since I last posted that that my previous posts have all been removed. (if anyone can recall I was the guy who was asking about running the Tannoy Sixes in a 5.1 setup) Well its been 5 yrs, coz thats how long it took me to do a "tech refresh" :D:D

I've upgrade my YAMAHA RX-V540 (gave it to my old man) to the RX-V1800...& ohh what a rush that was. I have no regrets sticking with YAHAMA. My Tannoys I replaced them with the Mission e3 series. As for the Pioneer DVD-Player (no HDMI) I gave that to my dad as well & am currently using my LG DVD/HDD coz it has HDMI, I have no plans to get a BLU-RAY yet coz it is still over-priced & the thought of rebuilding my DVD library collection is freaking me out !! (last count was 600).

Here's my ordeal. My CD-player is the KENWOOD DP-5090. It still sounds OK on my new system. But I am sure I get better sounds with what I have now.

I am considering the following brands: NAD, ARCAM, Cambridge Audio & Marantz. I was thinking of getting the entry level models of these brands. Something with a DAC would be nice. It don't make sense to overkill when the AV is the RX-V1800. The YAM is very good but its not exactly top end either.

What do you reckon fellas ?

My current setup:
TV (LCD): SAMSUNG LA40F81BD
AV: Yamaha RX-V1800 (SILIS HMDI connected)
DVD/HDD: LG RH7796W (SILIS HDMI connected)
CD: KENWOOD DP-5090 (std audio cable)
SPEAKERS (5.1): MISSION E3 series
Front: E34 (bi-amped with DALI RED WAVE)
Centre: E3C
Rear: E3DS (mounted upside down so that tweeters are down firing)
SUB: VELODYNE CHT-8R (MONSTER T-connected to AV)

davepuma

Distinguished Member
You would probably be better off posting this in the hifi separates forum as it is more musically biased. This forum is more focused towards movies as that is what AV receivers are better at. That said, some folks use them for music too. To add my 2p worth, if you do feel your CD player is letting the side down, I would look at a second hand CD player from the manufacturers you mentioned. I use an Arcam Alpha CD player hooked up to an Arcam Hifi Amp which in turn is connected to my Denon AV receiver via front preouts so I get better SQ from music. This might be an avenue worth investigating as AV receivers aren't much good with music. However, I rarely use my CD player now I have a Squeezebox. It has transformed my music listening habits. I have most of my music ripped in FLAC (lossless) format stored on an external hard disc, which when played back via the SB is arguably just as good but gives me my whole music collection, internet radio and RSS feeds in a little box. I highly recommend it. A half decent hifi amp from Sony, HK, Marantz, CA, Arcam, NAD etc. wouldn't have to cost you that much on ebay or in the classifieds and might improve your existing CD player. You say your speakers are bi-amped but I only see the AV Receiver listed, presumably you meant bi-wired which is an entirely different thing. BTW, all CD players have a DAC.

PS welcome back to the forums!! :)

titanax

Standard Member
I use an Arcam Alpha CD player hooked up to an Arcam Hifi Amp which in turn is connected to my Denon AV receiver via front preouts so I get better SQ from music...You say your speakers are bi-amped but I only see the AV Receiver listed, presumably you meant bi-wired which is an entirely different thing
thx DP for the prompt, the V1800 supports bi-amp, thats' what I was referring to, it was not like i plugged it into another ext amp. I don't really understand how you connect your hifi amp to the AV receiver, does it improve the listening quality a whole lot?

SB sounds interesting, but its not big in Asia yet, so it is still on the pricey side :(

davepuma

Distinguished Member
thx DP for the prompt, the V1800 supports bi-amp, thats' what I was referring to, it was not like i plugged it into another ext amp. I don't really understand how you connect your hifi amp to the AV receiver, does it improve the listening quality a whole lot?

SB sounds interesting, but its not big in Asia yet, so it is still on the pricey side :(
Sorry forgot you could bi-amp using spare channels!

The hifi amp is connected from a spare analogue input (say, video) to the front pre-out connection on the AV receiver. This way the amplification stage of the AV receiver is bypassed for the front (stereo) channels and the signal is sent to the hifi amp. Basically you set the hifi amp at a set volume level e.g. 12 o'clock and then calibrate the AV receiver around that. One thing to note, is you do need to turn the volume down on the hifi amp when you do switch to music listening otherwise you could blow both the amp and your ears! :D

Shame the SB is pricey over there, everything else isn't though! ;) I picked my Denon 3805 for half the UK RRP in Singapore and it was brand new out. Unfortunately the prices of the Arcam AVR300 that I really wanted were no different to UK though. :(

AudioGuru

Cambridge Audio's AZUR range are pretty good, I have the 540C and it uses the same Wolfson dac as some Arcam cdp's.
sounds very good and detailed, Not as warm as I would like but has a more natural sound which I'm 'warming' to ( parden the oxymoron lol! ) Not sure what your budget is mind but I did demo the 640 and the 840(upsampling) with the 840 blowing my mind! ( It is a £700 upwards cdp lol! )

titanax

Standard Member
Sorry forgot you could bi-amp using spare channels!

The hifi amp is connected from a spare analogue input (say, video) to the front pre-out connection on the AV receiver. This way the amplification stage of the AV receiver is bypassed for the front (stereo) channels and the signal is sent to the hifi amp. Basically you set the hifi amp at a set volume level e.g. 12 o'clock and then calibrate the AV receiver around that. One thing to note, is you do need to turn the volume down on the hifi amp when you do switch to music listening otherwise you could blow both the amp and your ears! :D
Cambridge Audio's AZUR range are pretty good, I have the 540C and it uses the same Wolfson dac as some Arcam cdp's.
sounds very good and detailed, Not as warm as I would like but has a more natural sound which I'm 'warming' to ( parden the oxymoron lol! ) Not sure what your budget is mind but I did demo the 640 and the 840(upsampling) with the 840 blowing my mind! ( It is a £700 upwards cdp lol! )
sounds awesome - i'll try out!! thanks guys

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom