Need Advice

milliond

Standard Member
Hello all,

I have been lurking on this fourum for many months (it's taking that long to look at all the posts), and I have to say some of the setups are fantastic.

I have just bought a flat, I am redecorating and adding an extension for an extra bedroom so its the perfect time to set my AV up.
This is the 1st time I have done this but I love a challenge and will be 'borrowing' ideas from what I have seen here.
Obviously with the refurb its going to be a bit budget install to begin but I want to make sure the cables/etc I put in are future proof, as I will upgrade components over time.
I still need to purchase the amp, projector and speakers for the living room so any advice is welcome.I was thinking maybe the ONKYO TX-SR805 amp??

I have attached a wiring diagram and wanted to know what the experts think. i.e will it work!!!

Thanks all in advance

HandsomeBWonderful

Novice Member
Wiring looks ok though I'd add a HDMI cable into the PJ if you're looking to future proof it. I'm guessing you haven't including one because either your PJ or your amp doesn't have a HDMI input but I guarantee you WILL upgrade within the next 3 - 5 years :D

milliond

Standard Member
hello, thanks for the quick response. :smashin:
I dont actually have an amp or projector just yet, but most of the amps in my budget (under £500)seem to have only one HDMI out, so i guess that means either the lcd OR projector. Also component is cheaper right? and can carry 1080 signal?

I will upload progress pics once i get started, its still in the planning stages at the moment as the extension building work is still going on.

MitsiTurbo

Also component is cheaper right? and can carry 1080 signal?
Not really sure what sort of lengths you are looking at, but the HDMI leads in my distribution setup were a fair bit cheaper than the Mark Grant Component leads I installed at the same length!

Component can technically carry 1080p but not all devices can output this resolution over component (Xbox 360 for example). Im sure I remember reading somewhere that it was a licensing type issue or something

milliond

Standard Member
HI, the amp will be either underneath the lcd or slightly to the side of it, and the projector will be on the opposite side of the room approx 12" across the living room floor (that will need to go under the floor and up the wall.)
Would i be able to have the TV and LCD using HDMI if there is only 1 HDMI out on the amp? (is this a stupid question? :suicide:)

Does anyone know a website where I can find out max lengths for cables, everywhere I look seems to have a different opinion or advises using signal amplifiers.

I've attached a "rough" plan (put together in about 20 mins using smartdraw, so measurements are not exact) so you can see what im talking about

neilball

You'll also need to remember that the AV amp will upconvert analogue to HDMI in many cases but will not convert HDMI to analogue therefore you may have to parallel wire your DVD player with both component and HDMI connections.

milliond

Standard Member
You'll also need to remember that the AV amp will upconvert analogue to HDMI in many cases but will not convert HDMI to analogue therefore you may have to parallel wire your DVD player with both component and HDMI connections.
Hello Neilball - -im sorry, i don't fully understand this. Why would it need to convert HDMI to analogue? Is this if i have the projector connected as component only?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom