1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Advice!

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by FDCorbin, Jul 3, 2005.

1. FDCorbin

FDCorbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, I'm a new poster who needs some advice. I'm building a practice PA for vocals for my band, and I'd like to know if this is a good setup.

Nady XA-900 Power Amp
    Behringer UB1222FX-PRO Mixer
    2 Peavey PR15 speakers

I bought another PA setup once, and it was almost the same price as this one but apparently some things were incompatable with one another and I managed to destroy the PA and the speakers. (The PA just gave out, and the crossovers burned out on the speakers).

The Nady XA-900 gives out 400 Watts RMS per channel, and the PR 15's are 800W Peak (400 RMS), the PA is 8 ohms as are the speakers. I really just need to know if I got everything added up correctly so I don't manage to burn up another 500$ worth of equipment because things weren't compatable! I'm worried there might be a compatability issue I don't know about.

I appreciate any advice any of you can give me! :thumbsup:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    There are normally 2 reasons for PA equipment not being compatable with another bit:

1. Vastly different power capabilities ie 500w speaker & 2000w amp. Keep to within a couple of hundred watts of each other and don't drive at full power and everything should be fine. By the sounds of it the amp & speakers match power wise, so all should be ok.

2. Speaker and amp have different connections. Easily fixed by getting a cable made to order with the correct connections. Any PA dealer should sort this out for you at time of purchase.

So to me, without knowledge of the individual products, the suggested setup should be fine. To be sure though get the dealer to check everything out for you. Even if buying from different places they should help you out, and even make other suggestions.

Mark.

3. FDCorbin

FDCorbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark!

Yeah you're right, my PA that busted was 400w per channel amp with 100 watt speakers. I'm fairly new to all this so I assumed that because the speakers were 200w peak and 15's that there wouldn't be an issue. Well I was damn wrong. The I replaced the speakers with 400W RMS Peavey Scorpions and blasted the hell out of them with my amp, and the crossovers just couldn't take the power!

I appreciate it man, your advice made me decide to buy the PA that I really need at this point! :)