1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice...

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by allygash, May 4, 2005.

1. allygash

allygash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Setup: Pioneer ax5ai, pioneer 868 dvd, denon 3ch poa-t3 power amp(125w*3), definitive tech speakers: 2006tl L/R, 2003 C, bp2.x surr, old pioneer sd-77 surr L/R, rel strata III sub.

Looking to improve my system musically, for AV it is excellent. I've been trying out the denon t3 3ch power amp listed above driving the front L/R & C via the preouts on my AX5ai. This is an old power amp & wondering people opinions on it.

Choices:
    1). Ditch denon get new 2/3ch power amp. Anyone using/heard this amp?
    2). Ditch denon get new intergrated power amp.
    3). Get a decent cd player 4 music, but how much better is a decent cd player than my 868 4 music. Chance i can get a cyrus cd7 pretty cheap.
    4). Trade in my ax5 4 an ax10.
    5). Change my speakers for something like quads 21/11 combo's

Any advice most grateful.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    This is purely my own opinion.....i'd be inclined to look at upgrading the speakers first,as from most viewpoints,the Pioneer is a reasonable performer,and whilst quite old,the Denon amp is quite good as well.

The Def/tech speakers I think suit AV use much better than music,hence my suggestions to maybe try some new speakers first.....be sure to try as many as possible in your price range,and try them on demo in your own home.
    One of the biggest problems in terms of speakers is something that sounds great in the dealer's demo room may sound awful in your room,with your system,and a lot comes down to room/system interactions.

As well as Quad,you could take a look at B&W,Kef,Ruark,and I'm sure that many others will suggest alternatives.

3. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Speakers / pre-amp section.

The pre-amp in your amplifier is great for movies but not necessarily that great for music. If you really want more musically i'd consider either an intergrated amp or pre-amp to run the front two channels.

If pre try it with you Denon power to see what you think. If intergrated then can sell the Denon power.

Somethink like a seconhand Musical Fidelity A308 integrated or pre/power. Keep the AX5i for movies etc.. but to give your stereo side a boost try something like this.

But frankly upgrading is never ending... Ohh speakers are a bit dodgy... then pre ... then ummm cd player... okish... then humm but the interconnects must be letting it down.. Then the whole thing is all at a new level... and guess what time to start again :)

Steff

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Always the way....as you upgrade one aspect of a system,an imbalance eleswhere is exposed and so it goes on.

Here I am 30 odd yrs after my first stereo,still adding and upgrading....still,stops you from having an excess of cash.

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    How much is 'cheap'?

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    First thing I would ditch is the pre-amp.

There was a Mark Leveinson 38 pre amp on hififorsale.com for £700 that would blow your Pioneer away, and it has a unity gain so you put it in av mode and there is no messing around setting levels.

This would completely transform your system and bring those speakers to life.

7. allygash

allygash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

225 sterling

8. allygash

allygash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about one of these as a pre amp: Musical Fidelity X-Pre pre amp(130 sterling)
    or Audio Alchemy pre-amp(Comes with external power supply unit)(145 sterling)? Guy I bgt the denon power amp from also selling these.

Thx for all the feedback guys........ getting deeper & deeper into the dark side... :D

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    I like the MF X-Pre, try and borrow it and see what you think.