1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need advice

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by dvdmike007, Apr 4, 2005.

1. dvdmike007

dvdmike007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all my system (detailed below) was a top dog but im finding it lacking at the mo and was thinking of getting a new graphics card.
    is there a real diff between the 6800gt and ultra models as i feel a format / reinstall and the new gpu could help it on the way back to greatness.

thanks in advance and if anyone has any other way they can see to improve would be welcome.

can this not turn into a format manufacturer trashing thread :spam: :)

spec

2x intel xeon 3.0666
    2 gig samsung ram
    2x wd raptors in raid 0 boot drive
    2x 250gig wd storage drives
    5950 ultra 256mb
    sony cdr/rw
    sony dvd rom
    lg all format 4x dvd writer

2. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    you could be cheeky and go with Sli and dual 6800's :D but i dont think there are mobo's out to support the dual processors from the last i seen but something new could be out so i may be wrong. with that and lash the 5950 ( 9800's were better so i wouldnt consider it top dog without that :devil: j/k ) and get yourself a 6800 ultra. enough said super cards put one in mates AMD64bit other day and she flies home anything you throw at her

forgot to mention that the SLi config is supported by anygame at the moment so you wouldnt see the best out of it, but its very much future proofing. if u want the right here right now thing the 6800Ultra is a beaut

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Intel just announced dual core CPU's and there a preview over at HardOCP.
    These new dual core CPUs dont seem to do gamers any good but they can be good for video editing and such.

I think for gaming its better to stick with a single CPU just now. Maybe when 64 bit CPUs start coming from intel things might be better. I know the xeon is a 64 but cpu but there are no games that support these cpus. Maybe once regular desktops support 64bit then games will too.
    At the moment almost all apps and games are 32bit with single cpu in mind. Once support moves to 64bit and dual core, then ill get it.

4. dvdmike007

dvdmike007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i already have the dual processors and i am no way changing them they can kick anyones ass in any windows app

5. headfullofcrisp

headfullofcrisp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi, i've just bought a Radeon x800xt pe form e-buyer for £320 and i must say im very impressed with it, i upgraded from a 9800 pro and was happy with that as well but i wanted to run games at a higher res with FSAA and AF turned on.

I cant wait to see what games will look like on my new Dell 24" lcd Monitor when it arrives.. :) :) :)

6. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229

Can you honestly say that your games run better on your rigg than on a single CPU rigg?

I doubt it since all games will only use 1 cpu at a time leaving the 2nd one idle.

You think it kiks ass coz you have a 3ghz CPU which is indeed fast, so you see your games as running well.

The only possitive thing about dual CPUs is that you can have more than 1 program runing while playing games and see no performance loss.

As I said, no one makes games that support dual CPUs or even 64 bit CPUs. Games simply arent optimized for it.

Same way NVidia's SLI isnt showing any improvement in games.

Game makers as well as hardware makers need to work together to make a system that works best together. A bit like a console.

At the moment for your system the best way to upgrade it would be with a single graphics card. I recomend a BFG 6800GT then over clock it to Ultra speeds with ease.

If you are more of an ATi person then go for an X800XT!

7. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    I would forget SLI if I were you. Good idea, bad implementation, especially compared to 3DFX's Voodoo SLI efforts. By the time games, components etc. are properly optimised for it, it will already have been superceded. Many benchmarks I have seen show that 2 X 6600GT in SLI are roughly as fast as 1 x 6800GT, and 2 x 6800GT are roughly as fast as a single 6800Ultra. No real benefit, as far as I can see....just more potential compatability issues. Some agrue that they can buy a single GPU now and upgrade to two in SLI when the prices fall. Fair enough, but by then a new "must have" GPU will have been released. In the world of PCs, and especially the gaming area, there simply is no such thing as "future-proofing".
    If I were in your position, I would buy a 6800GT and I think you will notice a vast improvement over your current card. Gainward also make a few seriously fast Ultras with core and memory speeds well above reference, but they come a a hefty price premium and are fairly hard to get hold of.