1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice, what speakers to get with this setup?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Zildjian285, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Zildjian285

Zildjian285

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all, I am after a nice setup for around £750, I think I have decided on the following.

Arcam CD82T CD Player (Second hand £275)
    Nad C320 BEE (Second hand around £120)

And I am stuck on the speakers, at the moment I like the look of the B&W DM602 S3 speakers, but alot of people on these forums say they are too boomy and the bass isnt right, I just want a system that will sound clear with a nice amout of bass. I know hardly anything about sound systems so I really need some help.

I have found a pair of B&W DM602 S3's for £190, should I get them? If not, what speakers should I buy for around £150-250 mark?

Many thanks.

Edit: I have found some Monitor Audio S1's for £199, are these good speakers? I will be listen to all kinds of music on these.

2. Zildjian285

Zildjian285

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ok, I have done a bit more research and I think either the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, Monitor Audio S1's or the Mordaunt Short 914 are my choices, what would be the best out of the three? I would like very clear sounds but with quite good bass, i dont want the bass to be over-powering, would it be a good idea to go for the S1's and if I need more bass get a seperate sub?

3. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    out of those 3, i'd pick the MS914s. My choice out of the current MS Avant lineup. Very well balanced for the money. There is a pair in the classifieds for around £150. Do a search :)

4. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    When it comes to speakers it makes sense to find a good dealer who will let you listen to a few combinations. Even better if you bring your amp and CD player along.

5. Zildjian285

Zildjian285

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thats the problem, I have been really ill lately so im basically stuck in the house, which means I cant get out and try them. I havent got my CD and amp yet, I am getting the speakers first because I can hook them up to my brothers amp untill I can afford to buy the CD Player from my friend.

So what would everyone choose out of those speakers, at the moment 1 vote for the 914's.

6. Zildjian285

Zildjian285

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have just seen some MONITOR AUDIO SILVER S6 speakers second hand, I might actualy go for these, will they work with the following?

Arcam CD82T CD Player
    Nad C320 BEE

7. Zildjian285

Zildjian285

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Anyone? I would like to buy these speakers in the next few days, im stuck between:

Monitor Audio S1
    Mordaunt Short 914
    Wharfedale Pacific Evolution 10

What would sound the best? I dont like too much bass, I like clear, crisp sounds with a nice amount of bass.

8. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    My vote would have to go for the Monitor Audio S1. Used to have a pair of S6's a few years ago and thought they were excellent value for money. Build quality of the MA range must also be a strong plus.
    The metal drivers in the MA's would certainly give you the crispness to the sound and the S1's would go deep enough for your bass requirements and anyway like you say you could always add a sub.
    I would be tempted by the S6's (Forget the Sub) The speakers would need some playing with position wise but they could grow with your system.

9. Zildjian285

Zildjian285

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks mate - I was leaning towards the S1's anyway because I have read many reviews and they seem excellent for the price, later on, when I have more money I will get some S6's to go with them, many thanks for the help.

Chris.

10. Zildjian285

Zildjian285

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    One last thing - Im stuck as to which stand I should get, which height should I be looking at? :confused:

11. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I quite like the Attacama SE range of stands, good and solid and you can vary the weight by removing/adding ballast. Available here: http://www.standanddeliver.com/
    No idea what the sites like but they seem to sell at a reasonable price. Also worth checking Ebay as they come up fairly regularly.
    As for the height? You want something that brings the speakers to about eye level when you are sat in your usual listening position.

12. Zildjian285

Zildjian285

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thank you very much Knightshade, you have been brilliant.

13. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I would consider the Mission M71's, these can be bought for less than £100 and IMO are great speakers. There biggest problem is they are normally used with very cheap equipment and therefore are not able to show what they are capable of. Add some decent mass loaded stands and they will compare very well with a lot of more expensive speakers.

14. Steve237

Steve237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'd go for the 914's. I bought a pair and was totally stunned how good they were - totally exceeded my expectations.

15. Zildjian285

Zildjian285

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Would the Monitor Audio S1's sound good with dance and rock music? Or would the 914's be better?

Im stuck on which amp would be best for around £200-300 with dance and rock music, I like the NAD C320BEE, Marantz SR5400 and NAD C352CT.
    What would sound the best?

16. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest zildjian, I can't believe you've ruled out the B&Ws!

Far from boomy, the bass is articulate, tuneful and with lots if impact. It suits rock and dance perfectly. If you want a realistic sound from real discs, its superb value. A classic design that is more enjoyable and much better value than even most of B&W's other ranges.

I'm sure you'll kick yourself if you eventually hear a pair...

17. Zildjian285

Zildjian285

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well, I am now really stuck on the speakers, I cant go out and try them in shops because I feel so damn ill at the moment, I think I might go for a pair on floorstanders now, because they give more bass and if I go for stand mount speakers I will need to spend a load of money on stands, which is a waste.

I'm stuck on the following now:

Monitor Audio S6 Floorstanders - (£400 bit pricey)

B&W DM603 - (just £300! demostration model in a shop where my friend works, but he says they are crap, and they are in the special offers because they cant sell them, so im not sure about them)

Mordaunt Short 914's - Heard good things about them, £250 a good price.

Acoustic Energy AEGIS EVO 3 - £230, good price but havent heard enough good things about them

What would be best for dance and rock music, im thinking about getting a Marantz SR5400 amp.

18. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    why are u considering a home cinema amp out of interest- some secret centre and surround speakers you haven't told us about ? ;)

I think B&Ws are overrated and very lazy sounding speakers...the Aegis's are ok but i have a pair of Aesprit Acoustic Energys , which are the range up and they are a bit aggressive with female vocals- a lot of sibilance

I'm still going with the MS914s- i used to work in a hifi shop and these were the Marantz/Mordaunt SHort rep's choice too, ahead of the £500 MS908s ;)

19. Zildjian285

Zildjian285

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Im going for the Monitor Audio S6 speakers with an Arcam A75 Plus amp, and Arcam CD82T CD player, should be good together, but I havent a clue what interconnects etc I need.?!