Need advice: Upgrade equipment + DTS issues

snos1985

Novice Member
Reaction score
So I recently upgraded my old Pioneer Kuro to a Samsung Q9FN 55inch. Was hoping the Samsung would be able to handle everything so I could just ARC the audio towards my 5.1 home theatre set. Only to find out that Samsung chose to no longer decode DTS, whereas it's still like the 2nd most used audio format (bummer). So now I need to route everything again via my AV Receiver, which doesn't handle 4k/HDR content.

Current setup
- Samsung Q9FN
- Onkyo SR608 receiver (no 4k/HDR passthrough)
- 1 Monitor Audio SB-2 soundbar
- 2 old rearspeakers (Jamo A402)
- 1 JAMO subwoofer (comes from this set: Jamo A402-HCS5)

Other appliances
- Samsung Connect One (all appliances underneath connect to here except for Sonos Bridge)
- Nvidia Shield (4k/HDR content) for Movies and TV Shows
- PS4 for gaming
- Set-top BOX
- Sonos Bridge (Opt. cable)

My living room is like 3m2 to 4m2 with not a lot of space next to the couch (in between walls). Small 5.1 rear speakers are on the back corners of the couch. Don't really have space to expand to a traditional 7.1 with physical speakers.

Main problem:
- Can't play DTS from Samsung Connect One to Speakers
- When connecting all to Onkyo AV, can't passthrough 4k/HDR and can no longer use Samsung handy remote

Needs:
- Play HDR/4k content
- Enjoy 5.1 DTS/DD
- If I need to upgrade, I rather go for a decent sound upgrade

I'm in need for some advice on what to do. Here are a few solutions I have been thinking about.

Options
1) Buy a new 4k capable receiver: Yamaha RX-V581 or Denon AVR-X1400H and keep speakers for 5.1 sound. Other recommendations are welcome.
2) Buy an 'active' 7.1 Atmos Soundbar and sell the receiver + Monitor Audio speaker. I assume this will play DTS fine but limitations is the number of devices that can connect to the soundbar.
- Option 1: Samsung MS650 - Unsure if this works with current subwoofer so might be without one
- Option 2: Samsung HW-K950 - expensive but has direct Atmos support, woofer and rear speakers
3) Return the TV, but I already ditched the box so that's going to be a bit of a hassle

I don't have a lot of experience and wonder if option #2 would outperform #1 when it comes to sound (e.g. 5.1 as traditional home theater vs. 7.1 virtual surround sound). Preferably don't really want to break the bank after just buying a new TV, but if it's massively worth it I might upgrade and spend another 500 - 1000 :-/

Thanks for helping out.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom