Question Need advice so I can play a movie through projector and 5.1 surround

mguise

Novice Member
Hi, I’m new to this forum so I apologize if I posted this in the wrong area. I added pictures to this post so you can see what I am talking about.

I purchased a theatre in a box system. All the speakers jacks are located in the back of the subwoofer.
IMG_1789.JPG

I also have a projector, I took a picture of it’s plug ins as well so you can see it.
IMG_1792.JPG

I also need to purchase a blu ray/dvd player so we can watch movies on the projector.

I am not quite sure how to wire this all together. I’m looking for advice so I can play a movie through the projector and listen to my 5.1 surround sound. What kind of wires/adapters do I need and what ports/jacks would I need on the blu ray/dvd player I purchase? And, any suggestions as to how to wire that up would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The speaker system looks like one designed to be used with a computer that decodes the 5.1 sound and then sends the output to the speakers as individual channels. The projector looks like an old one with no HDMI input so only has analogue inputs.
If the above is correct then a bluray player is going to be of no benefit as you will not be get a HD picture anyway. You would also need a player with analogue sound outputs which are few and far between and also tend to cost more money as well.
So to connect it you would need a DVD player with a scart output for the video and a multi channel sound output. You would then connect the scart lead direct to the projector and the multichannel sound outputs to the inputs on your sub.

mguise

Novice Member
Thanks PSM1. I think I got this figured out. I am putting this together for a small town in Iowa with inherited equipment. My home has a much more respectable system in it. Thanks again.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
A tower PC with multi-channel Out plus DVI is likely the missing piece in your jigsaw.

Something to look into being the cost of a new lamp for the Projector - some of the old Lamps can look seriously expensive vs. replacing the Projector with a New budget unit (which is warranted and will be a lot brighter than any old Tech).

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom