• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Need advice...S-video to Component/VGA/HDMI

B

bemyself

Hi All,

I have a Digital Satellite Decoder Humax ND-2200S which only have Composite, Coax and S-video (4 pin) output.
I want to connect it to my LCD TV, direct connection is simple using composite or s-video interface.
But I want to activate PIP feature on the LCD TV which only can activate through component (can't be adjust 480i/576i resolution), vga or hdmi input as main input.
So I am looking for any possibility of making the connection using S-video (output from DSD) to vga, component or hdmi (to input LCD TV).
Is there any solution for this ? if yes, which one is simple and cheap solution ?
Hopefully, it doesn't need h/w converter module which is expensive.

Thanks in advance.

MarkE19

Basically S-Video or composite can not be converted to VGA, Component or HDMI without hardware conversion. HDMI takes more conversion as it is a digital only connection but S-Video & composite are analogue only.
Probably the easiest way to do the conversion is with an upconverting AV receiver. These can accept the composite/S-Video inputs and output them via Component or HDMI (device dependent).

Mark.

B

bemyself

Thanks Mark !

That means my digital satellite decoder receives digital signal but it gives analog output :(
Sadly, I have old AV receiver (Denon AVR-1604) that has no hdmi/component output.

I am considering to use vga box (video to vga converter) for cheapest and easiest way, one I find on net is Grandtec GVC-1000 (http://www.grand.com.tw/tvpc_videoconsole.html).
How do you think about that ? Do I still get good video quality with that box on my 32" lcd tv?

Thanks.

MarkE19

All digital STBs that don't have an HDMI/DVI output will convert the digital signal to analogue before it is output to a TV. This is also true of DVD players etc.

The converter you linked should do the job - although I have never seen one in use so can't comment on how good it is.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom