Need advice, replacing my Bose lifestyle system.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Member 639844, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    Ok, I have a lifestyle 25 surround sytem I spent £2300 on, but I'm not that satisfied with it to be honest. I'm thinking of replacing it with an Onkyo reciever (TX-SR875E)and putting some Kef speakers (3005SE)with it, but I'm going to leave the Kef sub out and instead opt for a Rel Acoustics Sub.

The whole package will cost a little more than the Bose but I'm expecting a huge improvment in sound, is this going to happen or am I waisting my money, and considering I've pretty much decided that the Onkyo (£1000) receiver is the one I want , and only want a Rel sub (£500-1000) , are the Kef speakers the best way to go? (I want small speakers rather than big loud speakers but will change my mind for the right product).

Cheers for your help.

2. hfinky

hfinky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you listened to anything? If you're planning on spending that sort of money you owe it to yourself to visit a good dealer or few, talk to them about your needs and listen to some kit (no, I'm not a dealer myself!). Unless you've actually heard the Onkyo, or the Kefs I would suggest it's a mistake to base your purchase around them. I don't have personal experience of them, but I very much doubt that either is exceptional in its respective price range.

I would respectfully suggest that not auditioning is how you made the mistake with the Bose - don't do the same again!

3. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Yep - you should hear a huge improvement.

I'd have a look/listen at the Quad L-ites as well. The matching sub is pretty good too.

4. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    I did listen to the Bose sytem before I bought it, the trouble is that its a very good system for movies but not for music, which is where I'm being let down. Also the Bose system excels on music with certian content, like the sound of a saxaphone and acoustic stuff, which suprise suprise is what they demo them with. Trouble is the mid range is pretty poor and at times, when listening to music, the bass unit just doesn't know what its doing.
    I will demo the stuff I'm looking at but findin a dealer ship with the Onkyo and Kef's running is going to take time, so I'm hoping to find some poeple with the same equipment to give me some reviews or advice.
    Also both thie Amp and speakers are receiving excellent reveiws and I have previously owned a Rel Sub which is why I want another one.

5. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    If music replay is a serious consideration, I would still say you should have a listen to the Quads.

6. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    Ive just had a quick look at the quads and I dont really like the look of them too mcuh, which is another consideration thanks to the missus. I'll see if I can audition some in a shop because if they are noticable better than the kefs then I could still get them.
    Another consideration ive just looked at are the kef 5005's, not seen the price yet but what do you think of them matt?

7. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I've not heard the 5005's or the new 3005's, so cannot really comment on them.

I never liked the old 3005's (although a lot of people do). I just always felt you were paying a lot for the style (which I never really liked either).

I do like the looks of the 5005's...but that's not a lot of help is it?! I appreciate the KEFs hold a reasonable amount of WAF (for speakers), and like I said, there are lots of people who are really happy with them.

As for the amp; if I was looking in that price range, the 875 would be the one I'd look at first too.