• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Need advice regarding buying a microphone for home use

src2206

Standard Member
Hello friends and fellow members

I hope you are all safe in the present unfortunate situation.

I am not sure whether this is the correct section to post this question; if not I would request the moderators to kindly move this to the proper section.

I am planning to buy a microphone for home use, to connect with my desktop (sometimes with a smartphone). The main use of the microphone would be record songs. My computer has Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K3, AMD Ryzen 5 2600x, 16GB DDD4 memory and Nvidia GTX 1050Ti Graphics card.

My budget is limited and this is one I found on Amazon India:

StudioStar® BM-800 Condenser Microphone for Professional Studio new edition (Black)

Could informed members here please guide me on this?

Thank you.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
As a budget microphone it should be OK, and will sound a bit better than the mic on the smart phone, but not a lot.

It is described as a dynamic condenser mic, but they are different things. A dynamic mic uses a conventional coil and magnet to produce the electrical output from the mic while a condenser uses a polarised diaphragm and an amplifier to produce a more sensitive output. It cannot be both a dynamic and a condenser mic at the same time!

This makes me think the seller doesn't know what they are talking about and has simply strung buzz words together in the advert!!

src2206

Standard Member
Thank you for your reply.

I have tried to use the phone microphone, which is actually horrendous. The microphones of earphones are a little better, but completely miss the lower notes and also change the pitch of the voice.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom