Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

need advice quick

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by jonnyseale, Aug 1, 2005.

1. jonnyseale

jonnyseale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok straight to the point i am about to have some plastering done and cant afford to buy masses of hdmi cable to send pics to bedroom and living room from loft room at the moment. can i run cat five cable for video then attatch cat five to hdmi adapters like gefen at a later date do you loose quality if you do this. any ideas anyone :eek:

2. jonnyseale

jonnyseale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok i probably made no sense at all there what i basically want to do is have all my equipment in the loft, sky plus, arcam dv79, (and possibly a scaler not bought yet) + denon 3805 amp. and feed hdmi to my plasma downstairs in the living room and hdmi to my bedroom, it should be a straight run from top to bottom, but am not sure wether i can afford the cable at present. and as i am having walls plastered, i wonder if there is a cat5 option open to me and if there is; will i lose quality any advice would be appreciated thanks. :eek:

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,086
    jonnyseale

You shouldn't see a drop in picture quality if you want to send Digital Video over CAT5 using a Gefen extender/converter.

Keep in mind most of the Gefen units require Two x CAT5 cables per run - plus whilst a lot of the boxes use HDMI connectors they are not full spec HDMI enabled; often they only carry the video signal and you'll require a separate box and cable for the audio signal.

How long are your cable runs going to be?

Best regards

Joe

4. jonnyseale

jonnyseale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    probably looking around 6meters to the bedroom from the loft and 12meters to the living room. :)

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,086
    Hello jonnyseale

If you go with a premium HDMI cable then 1 x 8m + 1 x 12m will cost you just under £350.00 for a set of high quality HDMI cables.

See http://www.bettercables.com

If you go with a lower spec HDMI cable then 1 x 10m + 1 x 15m will cost you just under £130.00.

If you install a CAT5 solution for now it'll cost you a fair bit more that either of the above options to add all the required signal converters for Digital Video + Audio over CAT5 as and when your ready to use the cables.

Best regards

Joe

6. jonnyseale

jonnyseale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks for your advice i will go for the hdmi solution :D oh by the way if i am using a scaler most of which use dvi otputs can i still use hdmi with an adapter.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,086
    jonnyseale

The HDMI to DVI adapters seem to work very well - certainly no problems reported so far.

Best regards

Joe

8. jonnyseale

jonnyseale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the help joe

9. jonnyseale

jonnyseale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you ordered from bettercables before and did you have to pay shipping costs :)

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
    Johnny: I'm sure Joe has ordered from Betercables and I am sure he had to pay shipping costs...He's the Bettercables distributor in UK. You can get the cables direct from him. He's the guy I buy virtually all my cables from. Has stock and actually knows what he's talking about unlike some other cable suppliers who seme to have the attitude, "if you can't see a difference then just buy something expensive to give you eace of mind", which seems slightly insane to me.....

Gordon

11. neil68

neil68
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0