1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Advice plz ..

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by GiorgosUK, May 26, 2004.

1. GiorgosUK

GiorgosUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hallo everybody, :hiya:

although this is my first post i have been following the forums for quite a long time now.

I am thinking of buying a projector around 1000 quid and i need some advice.

The candidates are the Hitachi TX100 , Infocus X2 and the Panasonic AE500

I am going to be moving a lot in the next year so altough i can set up good dark conditions in my current place i do not know what will happen in 3 months. So this is the main problem with the panasonic.

Has anybody seen an X2 in action ?? And is the pixel definition really a problem with the TX100??

If you had this choice what would you choose and why ???

Your advice is much appreciated
    :lease:

Giorgos

P.S apart from going to a demonstration is there another way to find out whether the rainbow effect affects you or not ??

2. GiorgosUK

GiorgosUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anybody ????

thanks

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I would go with AE500 or Sanyo Z2 myself budget DLP are not good enough compared LCD what will you connect??? AE 500 is my current fav! but depends on kit screen size and room.

4. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Well you did say "around £1000" so I figure you may as well count in the Optoma H30 as well as the others mentioned so far. Check out the rather large thread on it on here and also the many other reviews from mags / sites, most of all though when it really boils down to it on any of these fine machines GET A DEMO !!, after we are talking a grand here and would you even buy a 1k car without driving it....??. Sevenoaks (if you have one local) were not the absoloute cheapest (nor the most expensive come to mention it) for me and were very helpfull and from what I've seen / read re projectors what one person likes another may not. Good luck and welcome to the big picture :) .

5. GiorgosUK

GiorgosUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah i will try to get a demo, i think there is a SevenOaks store in Birmingham.

The only problem with H30 and Panasonic one is the only 800 ANSI .. i mean that is very low .. you will have to have a really dark room to get a good picture but with the Hitachi 100 you can afford a bit of light ....

I will connect an XBOX and a DVD player

Hey womble9 my xbox live tag is The Titan, i am not online very often but maybe we can have a game sometime ...

laters and thanks for the advice

Giorgos

6. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi GiorgosUK you kinda got that a bit mixed up, you'll find the darker the room the better the picture that's displayed by just about any projector.

It's not an oversight on behalf of the manufacturers that the brightness is only around 800 ANSI lumens but is intentional.

A projected picture is a compromise between projected light and non projected light.
    That is to say black is displayed as non projected light, ie the absence of light or the ambient colour of the screen whilst pretty much everything else is displayed by coloured light.

The main point I'm trying to make is that black can't be projected by a projector and the greater the ambient light the greyer blacks will look and the more washed out the whole picture will be due to reduced contrast.

Generally speaking projectors with say 1200 to 1500 ANSI lumens will be targeted more for presentation use and less for serious HT use.

My H30 is absolutely stunning when viewed in a fairly dark room whilst being set only on eco mode (factory default).
    This setting probably brings the brightness down to only around 600 or so ANSI lumens but what an amazing bright and vibrant picture you get.

Regards, MikeD

7. GiorgosUK

GiorgosUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MikeD,

i have to admit i did get that wrong and was wondering why the hell did they only make it 800 ANSI .. :laugh: , little did i know ..

so an almost dark room 800 ANSI will be fine i suppose, i.e closed curtains etc.

i was also wondering is there any sort of way to test whether you are susceptible to rainbowing :confused: apart from testing an actual DLP projector ??

thanks

Giorgos

8. alfalfa

alfalfa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would definitely audition the Hitachi TX100. It has horizontal and vertical lens shift, a very flexible zoom/throw, high brightness modes (you may sometimes want to watch with ambient light) and much higher resolution (so you can sit closer to the screen and view PAL dvds without resolution loss).

Here is the translation of an initial french review posted at avsforums:

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Test done on component progressive from a HK DVD22 player.

Picture is very detailed, and the contrast is amazing for an LCD. A customer saw the PJ running and remarked, "It looks like a DLP".

Black level is very good, though not quite as good as the Yamaha LPX510.

As regards value-for-money, it creams the Sanyo PLV-Z2 and the Optoma H30.

There's lots of setup options, so with some tweaking time it can only get better.

Afterwards, tested on interlaced (also with the DVD22). The projector deinterlaces very well.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

The 'creams Z2 and H30' comment is certainly interesting.

9. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Got to say, seen a few budget DLP and they dont cut it for me. See the rainbows..........I did. Also they seem to universally have a lower res than the ae500 and Z2 of this world. If you are PC gaming this is pretty important I feel. I own an ae500 so you might say I am a bit biased, but the Z2 is also an excellent projector.

25% of the the users who have posted in the projector pole (I would say the majority of projector owners have taken part as well) own a ae500 or Z2 and pretty much as dam it an equal number of both so you know they are both pretty good. These things have only been available for 6 months really and they already have a massive piece of the entry level market, there is obviously a reason for that.

Now my HCPC is finished I am almost ready to unlease my screen shots, the rooms not quite finished, need my seating sorted out but I will try and get them in the see your thread soon.

Then you can see some High def lovelyness from the xbox, pc games and decent DVD footage and make up your own mind.

Neadless to say its good. Very very good, well I thing so anyway.

10. booth1976

booth1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This IS subjective though. I only see rainbows on black & white material, and very rarely at that - and when I do they are very brief and barely noticable to the point that it doesn't interrupt what I am watching. This is with the Themescene H30, which I now own.

However with the curtains closed using the H30. You need to have dark curtains which let little light in or else the blacks will be grey - but my family still don't stop watching. In the darkness the quality of this projector is absolutely stunning though and it really (pardon the pun) shines.

I found LCD pixel structure to get in the way of my viewing, but the main thing was the blacks, they were just grey which really took the modelling out of the movie lighting for me. For ages I was going to get an LCD, and it was a big wrench to not get one because of the resolution issues, but I'm going to be projecting standard definition for quite a while so at the end of the day, I'm not missing any resolution. I'm sure you Xbox hi-res users will be, but I'm not fussed. Now if there were HD DVD around, then I'd have probably waited - but then again I wouldn't have had my (now) beloved H30. Only had it for a day too!

11. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi GiorgosUK

I know we all keep saying this but decide what you want a projector to do then devise a short list of those that fit the bill, try to demo them all and then decide based on your own personal preference.

Different people will have different views, for instance I disagree with much that harrisuk has posted but that doesent make my opinion right and his wrong.
    As he rightly says he is biased toward the ae500 and by the same token so am I to the H30 as we both own what we consider is best for our particular needs.

Based on a friends calibrated ae300 and a viewing of an e500 I plumped for the H30, to me the H30 picture was the closest to another friends calibrated high end Sony CRT.

It's not that either of the Pannie's was bad it's just that the H30 gave what I considered to be a better overall picture with DVD and SKY which was important to me.

If you're a serious gamer (and I'm not) then I imagine the ae500 or Z2 would be the best bet, at the end of the day its up to you to decide what's best for you.

Remember that whatever you choose it's gonna cost you a great deal so spend wisely.

Regards, MikeD

12. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Fair comments. We obviously have different ideas on what we are going to use them for in the main.

13. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Your a gentleman Sir.

Regards, MikeD

14. Jim McC

Jim McC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Hitachi TX100 available yet in your area? There still is no word yet of release date in U.S. Are there any reviews yet that you know of?

15. GiorgosUK

GiorgosUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys .. :thumbsup:

but it just made things a bit more complicated !!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously though i will try and demo 3-4 projectors in a local store and try to make up my mind.
    I think the Hitachi and the Themescene are my 2 favorites at the moment ...

On another note, are there any new developments awaiting to happen ? will it be worth it to wait for 6 months ??

Thanks again

Giorgos

16. GiorgosUK

GiorgosUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jim McC there is another post here with a review in, just search the forums for the hitachi projector.