Need advice please. I need to decide between B&W 607, KEF Q150 and Klipsch RP-500M

Javism1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi and thanks in advance. I am looking to buy a pair of decent speakers. I will use them for:
- Listening to music: metal and rock primarily
- Watching movies: any genre

Equipment:
- A/V receiver Marantz NR 1602
- Subwoofer: BK Gemini II (10" drive, 150W RMS, 40Hz - 120Hz)

The living room is around 5m (L) x 4m (W) x 3.5m (H). I will be sitting at 3.5 meters away from the speakers.

I have been looking at lots of speaker brands and models and the ones that I like the most are:

- B&W 607 (530€)
- KEF Q150 (449€)
- RP-500M (423€)

Considering the use I am going to give them and my equipment, which one would you recommend?

Hiya Javism1

few notes here before we begin. as you are aware, the marantz is limited to just 50w a channel at 8ohm so it is by no means a powerhouse and will be restricted to 8ohm and high sensitivity speakers.
secondly.. not sure if you have looked at other topics on this forum before posting but one of the main thing that does crop up alot is users looking to partner speakers to "AV" amps for music which is never a good idea simply due to the quality of the speaker against the inferior music capacity of the AV amp.

if you are not using or have surround speakers currently, i would probably, and others too, suggest the investment of a dedicated amp before purchasing speakers. If you already have surround speakers and just looking to upgrade the main fronts for music capacity.. again.. you would really need a dedicated hifi amp and switched via a Beresford speaker selector so you have films (with surround) via the AV or flick the selector to the other switch for music via the standalone amp.

Could you confirm if you have the surround sound speakers firstly... and secondly budget in mind please:)

Hiya Javism1

few notes here before we begin. as you are aware, the marantz is limited to just 50w a channel at 8ohm so it is by no means a powerhouse and will be restricted to 8ohm and high sensitivity speakers.
secondly.. not sure if you have looked at other topics on this forum before posting but one of the main thing that does crop up alot is users looking to partner speakers to "AV" amps for music which is never a good idea simply due to the quality of the speaker against the inferior music capacity of the AV amp.

if you are not using or have surround speakers currently, i would probably, and others too, suggest the investment of a dedicated amp before purchasing speakers. If you already have surround speakers and just looking to upgrade the main fronts for music capacity.. again.. you would really need a dedicated hifi amp and switched via a Beresford speaker selector so you have films (with surround) via the AV or flick the selector to the other switch for music via the standalone amp.

Could you confirm if you have the surround sound speakers firstly... and secondly budget in mind please:)
Thanks for your answer Orobas. You have got a good point. Why bother buying a good pair of speakers if the AV receiver is not going to be up to the quality of the speakers?

That makes me thinks that I should either get cheaper speakers such as Klipsch r-51m or buy a dedicated amp just for music and switch between both as you suggested.

I won't be certainly going above 25w in my current flat. The neighbours would not be happy.

I only have the AV receiver and the subwoofer at the moment. I haven't bough any speakers yet. The idea is to start with a 2.1 config and eventually build a 5.1.

And in terms of budget, I wanted to spend up to 500 euros or so. I know I will move flat in a couple of years so this will be more of a temporarily solution.

I’d drop all your current ideas for speakers and buy these.

£900 initially and a very grown up sound indeed.

They’ll certainly exceed your expectations.

And they are an easy drive.

Also, as to the power available from your amp, I wouldn’t be too concerned.

You have an excellent subwoofer, which will take care of below, say, 80Hz, leaving the amp plenty of power for the Regas.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Klipsch are very , very efficient speakers & require very little power for rock for a very punchy & dynamic sound

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom