Need advice - Plasma or LCD - suggestions?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by sibod, Jul 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. sibod

sibod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right - I'm determined that I want a HD ready Big screen TV to replace my rather bulky Rear Projection Sony 44" set.

My options are Plasma or LCD - but I dont know which way to go.

Seems this one:
    Samsung LE40R51B
    http://audiovisual.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/sbs/100311823/14206306.html
    is pretty damn good.
    Any suggestions to alternatives that cost less/have better pictures? And what about Plasma, is there a Plasma alternative at the same or less? Are Plasma pictures better/worse than this?

Any help greatly appreciated!

2. oh aye

oh aye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The plasma lcd question is very difficult they are both good depends on what you want from your tv. I think larger lcd tend to be more expensive than an equivalent plasma. Don't know anything about this set be sure to demo thoroughly before you buy its a lot of money to spend on something you may not like. I bought the panasonic viera plasma TH37PV500 and i am very happy with it paid £2200 with the matching stand and dvd recorder, you can get it in 42 and 50 inch as well.

3. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You aren't going to get any LCD at 40"+ at a cheaper price than the Samsung, and the pictures are pretty damn good. You could arguably do better with a 42"+ LCD, but they are currently a *lot* more expensive.

As for the plasma question, there are pros and cons to each side. Although the one thing that you've stumbled on is that the Samsung 40" LCD does pretty much negate any argument about a price difference between LCD and plasma - being cheaper than almost every similarly sized (42" / 43") HD ready plasma.

4. sibod

sibod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, now I'm confused! The Samsung PS42S5H seems like a good deal, and can be had for £1495 at some retailers. I've read the threads on here about it, but I'm concerned that the picture quality might not be the best compared to the LCD variation.
    However, I'm wavering - I dont know if I need HD at all really. It seems Sky HDTV wont be possible without a dual LNB (Wich is impossible on shared sat dishes in my flat that' I'll be moving into) - so the only reason I'd need HD Ready is to play XBOX 360 games, or run HD PC inputs.

So - perhaps it's better to go for a SD plasma? But then given that this has to last me around 5 years, shouldnt i look at HD?
    GIven there's only a £500 odd difference between HD and SD, is it worth it?

5. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    re: Sky - I'm not sure what the deal is there... because of the polarity issue, there would need to be a distribution system that each flat is connected to. There are practicalities to what a distribution system would support, and the additional wiring, but in theory you could be provided with an additional feed, just as if you were an additional flat - which would then allow you to hook up Sky HD/Sky+.

Alternatively, there is nothing to stop you from hooking up a single feed to Sky+ (and presumably Sky HD), however the ability to record from one channel whilst watching another (or recording two channels simultaneously) would not be possible.

6. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Go for HD defiantely, that Samsun 42" plasma is very good, go shops and do a terst between the L:CD and plasma, see what you like more.

7. sibod

sibod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mmmm anyone know of any good shops in Central London (I.E. Tottenham Court Road) that will have both these available to demo?

8. sibod

sibod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read there were issues with both these things? Do some Communal dish systems push out more feeds than required? If it's strictly 1 per flat, then I'm sc***d.

9. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    http://www.gultronics.co.uk/

These lot have both, but phone them first.