Need advice on what to get all in one or separates

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by pkesur, Jan 13, 2008.

1. pkesur

pkesur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im new to home cinema, last time, bought and LG home cinema systam a few years back, and it worked fine - no complaints - but no i have my own place, and am looking for maximum bang for my buck - been reading all over about all in one systems, but when i read reviews on the individual bits, one or the other component is budget - and most people recommend buying separates to put it together....

so its a dilemma - I am getting an HD ready 42 inch pioneer LCD TV, perhaps a PS3 in the near futurs, and i have a media player whuch outputs to RCA's 2 audio and one video - thats the common setup.

I am looking for something that will accomodate my plans of getting a PS3 / or XBOX 360... still unsure which to get. Not interested in Blueray.

I need a good DVD player, speakers, and i think amp aswell - because i figure the amp will be taking all the relevant inputs and output them... or thats what i think.

Im looking at around a 600 pound and thats on the components alone, will spend on wiring, stands, etc later - i plan on keeping only the speakers visible - so i want those in silver, and the rest can be black if necessary.. Im not sure what components are compatible, or what connections are needed. please advise - i really need help here...

2. pkesur

pkesur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, i have decided to get sepatares - and have the following :

Onkyo TX SR505 (AMP)
    denon 1740 (DVD PLAYER)

unsure about the speakers but thinking of Harman Kardon HKTS 7 set - will this all mix well together, alond with the XBOX360?

3. Royceyraa

Royceyraa
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey Pk

I think you should build you're system around a good amp, I'm not talking a stupidly expensive one with more outputs and inputs than god knows what... but something that will be extremely good currently - and will last the distance...

You're interested in the Onkyo I read, for an Av Receiver they are a good choice and one amp in particular cleaned up in the "what hifi etc" awards not so long ago, the 605. One up from the one you have listed... I know its a few quid more (about £100) but if you can stretch it would be a great choice.

With respect to the console, having owned both... I would definately advise that you consider the PS3 over the XBOX, I'm sure there are many threads on this topic so I won't go into detail why, but the PS3 will mean that the Denon dvd is not neccessary. It will upscale any current dvd's to full HD resolution and does a very good job of it too! with respect to bluray - If you're going to spend your hard earned cash on upgrading you're whole home cinema set-up then Br should definately be factored in if you really want to unleash the true power of your 42" telly. The Onkyo at the base of this will allow everything to be connected by HDMI which is the way to go for maximum quality and simplicity and the Onkyo is also capeable of Dolby True HD and the DTS equivalent which is awesome on a model of this price.

So yes, PS3 via HDMI to Onkyo. Onkyo via HDMI to TV.... and voila - all you need now are some speakers! and you're ready to rock and roll with a truly enviable home set-up!

Thats only what I reccomend though, others will no doubt have different ideas and at the end of the day its your money so it's down to what you like! Good look and I hope you get it sorted soon x

4. pkesur

pkesur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hmmm got me thinking there - maybe PS3's the way to go - gonna do some reading up thereabout - just one other thing tho - i've got this plan to have the amp and dvdplayer out of site - in another room - so when i plugin the console xbox or PS3, i need to be able to plug it to the TV, which inturn will be plugged into the amp and output through the speakers... is this possible....

i obvioulsy want to maintain the surround sound - is it possible to connect in such a way? thanks for the advice on the amp - but i wont have the £100 to spare - been reading on the Onkyo TX SR505e - and from a performance/rating point of view - it sould be ok i guess.