1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on what home cinema amp to upgrade to

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tony kop77, Dec 20, 2003.

1. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I currently have a Yamaha RX-396RDS. I have had it for about 2 or 3 years but want a new amp so I can get DTS, 5.1EX and Doly Prologic .
    My bedroom is about 9ft by 9 ft I have a sony 900NV dvd player and at the moment Yamaha NS-P210 speakers though looking to upgrade them next year sometime.
    I was thinking of buying the Denon 2803, 1803 or the 2801. Which of these would you recomend o would you recomend I go for another amp, dont know what else is any good.

I want to play SACD in the future as my player can play these, I live at home with parents so will have it loud but not too loud. I would like 6.1, dont think I would use 7.1 as my room is not big enough imo.

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi crazzy kopite
    What is your budget max.
    Do you use your system for music.
    Cheers Gonzo.

3. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I am willing to spend up to £400 maybe £600 if it is really worth spending that much as the room is only about 9ft by 9ft.
    I have sky digital soon to upgrade to sky+, xbox, playstation 2 might buy a gamecube.
    I listen to music via the amp and have my PC through the amp. I would like a mid entry level if pos, a fairly decent amp that I wont need to upgrade for a while. Will I notice the difference from my old RX-V396RDS amp and the new one I am planning to buy?

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi crazzy kopite
    The Nad t752 will give you everything that you need except 6.1 but you can add extra power amps to the pre-outs to go full 7.1 if needed but in your size room i doubt you will.The Nad sounds great with movies, and with music is the best sounding av receiver that i have heard up to the 800 quid mark.The differance to the yamaha will be very noticable both in dynamics and bass weight if you want the best of both worlds you will not go wrong taking my advice.
    PS the nad will drive any impedance speaker that you are likely to own my nad had no trouble driving my m&ks to very high volumes which are 4ohms and it does output more than its 80 watts all channels driven which alot of receivers around the nads price range fail to do .
    Cheers Gonzo.

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With your current speakers I'd recommend one of the Denon amps you mentioned.

You might want to consider an AVR3802 in the Second Hand arena (perhaps in the Classified Forum on these very pages), which tend to sell for around £300 and represent excellent value for money.

If you're eager to buy from-new then the AVR2803 seems like the sensible choice, which sells for around £450 on the net.

I own an 1803 and can recommend this too, but you'll certainately benefit from the enhanced processing and power amps of the 2803.

However I agree with gonzo that if - upon your upgrade - you plan to buy particularly demanding speakers (ones with 4 Ohm nominal impedences and relatively low sensitivities), then you'll probably be wiser to invest in the NADs or Harmon Kardons of the world, which have comparitively large amounts of current available to their poweramp channels and won't buckle under difficult speaker loads. The trade-off is that their processing can't compete with the Denons you mention.

Dimmy

6. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    When I buy the new speakers in the new year sometime I will opt for satelite speakers. I was thinking either the KEF egg speakers or the bose speakers.
    I enjoy watching films but I play on my computer more than watching films. I want to create a mid range set up, I feel the Sony 900NV is a good dvd player and later next year I will buy a 32 inch flat screen 100hz. I only have a Samsung 28 inch widescreen 50Hz at the moment.

I want to upgrade things slowly and buy the right kit and I want it to be good at music, films and gaming. Thank You for your help I will look into the other amps you suggested.

7. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're using a Sub/Sat system next year then you'll be best off with one of the Denons mentioned, the AVR2803 would be the near perfect match for the Kef Eggs.

Dimmy

8. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Will I notice the difference between my amp and one of the Denon ones? Is there a lot of difference between the 1803 and the other amp you recomnded?
    I have seen the 1803 for £250
    1804 £297
    2803 £460

9. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll notice an improvement if you opt for any of the aforementioned amps, but the biggest (obviously) with the 2803.

Dimmy

10. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as stated elsewhere, a s/h 2802 would be better value than an 180x. and no I'm not selling mine.
    edit: and yes you would notice a difference over your Yammy.

11. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not really, I chose my 1803 over the 2802.

The 2802 has the slightly higher powered poweramps, yet i preferred the overall sound of the 1803.

Dimmy

12. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I'll put my hand up - Having the 2802, I never compared it with the 1803. However, it is a regret that the 1803 does not have the pre-outs that I use to good effect. The 1802 did, IIRC.

13. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 1802 had pre-outs for the front three channels.

The processor used in the 1803 does not allow analogue monitoring of digital sources, bar provisions for the subwoofer, hence no pre-outs.

And yes, I do wish at times I had the pre-outs.

Dimmy