Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

need advice on video capture for JVC

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by foral, Jan 3, 2005.

1. foral

foral

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have a JVC GR-DVP3A-GY, and I am trying to capture video to edit and burn onto DVD

I have been able to set up still image capture through the cradle and a USB connection.

The manual doesn't seem to cover capturing video though.

I have a firewire card ieee ( or something similar )

I have tried to get the PC to capture using the USB connection and I have used the cable that runs from the camcorder ( under a little i flap ) to the PC ( not sure what it is called, but it's not a USB connection, it is a little less rectangular) and that doesn't seem to work either.

Help! :lease:

P.S.
    I have JLIP video capture and VideowaveIII, neither can capture any video. When I look for the source both say no source available

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    You have to use the firewire (IEE1394) connector to capture footage from the camcorder to the PC. You can't use the USB connector, it is for still images only.

I'm unfamiliar with the JLIP video capture but you must have a firewire connector on your PC or connected to your PC, which you seem to have along with the correct firewire cable (not USB cable).

You should then have no problems capturing footage.

1. Check you are connecting the PC via firewire with the correct type of cable. As soon as you swith on the camcorder your PC OS should recognise the camcorder and display the model.

2 Ensure the software you are using is set to capture via firewire. You will be able to control the camcorder via the software.

3. foral

foral

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, OK I have the cable running from the camcorder, which is like a little square connecter ( from the i output on camcorder ) to the firewire card ( like a fatter USB connection type ) .

The PC doesn't do anything when I switch the camcorder on.

The firewire card has 2 USB type connections and 2 other type ( one of which I have the firewire cable running from ) I know the USB ports on the card work as I have captured still images from the USB connection.....Is it possible the other's aren't connected? how can I tell?

I'm really stuck here as I thought once I turned the camera on everything would self detect ( I am usinf XP Home )