1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on telly to hook up Skydigital

Discussion in 'TVs' started by clety, Dec 31, 2002.

1. clety

clety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) Hi it's my first time here.

I recently bought a Panasonic 32PL10 which has 100Hz but found its picture had xcessive digital processing when I hooked up with Skydigital, resulting in picture being breifly out of focus even with slight studio movement! The retailer collected the TV and I am waiting for a refund.

There aren't many shops where u could go & see a demonstration of skydigital pictures. Does anyone know where I could go and see TVs hooked up Sky and see if the tellys have xcessive digital artefacts.

Finally I am thinking of getting Pan PL1, a 50Hz model, is that a good model to watch with Sky? does anyone have this tv with Sky pictures? Does 100Hz normally have unnatural pictures and digital artifact, especially when hooked up Sky.

My other choice is Sony FQ75. Again is that a good model to watch with Sky? when I say 'good' I mean least digital aritfacts. Your advice wud b very apprciated.

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Its probably not the tv, but the quality of the sky picture being broadcast. If you are on a low quality program with fast moving scenes all 100hz and probably 50hz tv's will exhibit this feature.
    I understand it is particularly noticeable if you like football, but thankfully it's not one of my vices.

Most sets have different processing modes and these can be tried to reduce this to a minimum. I am quite happy with my 100hz Toshiba, but then as I said I never watch football.

It is often helpful to adjust the picture sharpness to a lower setting to reduce this as well

3. clety

clety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ken,

Thanx for your reply. The picture quality from Sky is very good and the blurred picture I got from my 32PL10 was from programmes like 'kilroy'. It happened when TV camera pans slightly to the left or right. I don't watch football much but normal studio programmes from big channels had temporarly blured vision.

Are there many retailers where I can see TVs hooked up to Sky, so that I can make a sound decision.

4. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    I don't know of any retailers that have sky available for demonstration. But your best bet would be to try a small independant shop, as i know that Currys/Dixons stores run their sky though to multiple screens using RF connections, but saying that some old syle dixons(if you know what one looks like) dont have the RF connection installed, and the TV is connected via scart direct from the sky box, so i you have one of those near you and find a helpfull member of staff(could prove tricky) then that could be the answer.:p

5. roadtorode

roadtorode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This set has the benefit of switchable 50hz/100hz, so you have the best of both...

6. cjb

cjb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    clety
    iv'e got the FQ75,with sony sky digibox to o/p RGB connected to tele AV1.picture is fantastic,No over processing etc.sky news for example is crystal clear.
    use good quality scart leads.i use QED squart (£50 each).It really does make a difference.
    dare i say it,beware of the 'scrolling bars'!!

cheers

Clive.

7. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +345
    I have been trying to find more information about this FQ75 As sony dont have it on there site anymore as I believe it not made anymore?

Anywhere i can go to read up on it and how much for a 32 inch etc