1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on speaker cable

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Ewok, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I a about to buy a new amp and KEF HT2005 speakers but have no speaker wire or anything. I am looking at getting QED Qudos Silver Anniversary wire listed as £5 on www.superfi.co.uk anyone know if it just comes in 1M sections then? Because it doesnt let you choose a length. Also if I do have to buy it in 1M sections, what do I use to connect the sections together?

Never bought speaker wire before so no idea how it all goes.

2. cittauk

cittauk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The price quoted will be per meter. Just put the required length in the Quantity Box. For example, if you want 5 meters, just put "5" in the Quantity Box.

Tony

3. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problem is I'm gonna need 5 seperate wires, 1 for each speaker and I need 2x6metre ones and 3x 1.5metre ones.

I dunno if I need biwired or not or whether i need banana plugs on both ends, its to connect the KEF HT2005 sattelites up, I assume they connect directly to the amp? In whihc case I will also need 1 to connect the sub to the amp. arhgghghg

4. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Ewok!

From someone who's no expert, welcome, but it's an expensive hobby isn't it! You will need five lengths of speaker wire but you don't need to bi-wire. The front speakers and centre speaker don't need long lengths but the surrounds will obviously be the most expensive. You can have banana plugs to terminate your speaker wire but this again isn't a necessity. (This is dependent on the connections at the rear of your amp of course). Be sure to have more speaker wire rather than less. You can always cut off the excess (or coil it) but it won't stretch!! Remember to allow for the speaker wire to drop to the floor, run along to the speakers and then up to the connectors. Perhaps you're just running the wire straight along the wall from the amp?

You say that you need 2x1.5 metres for your fronts and centre? It sounds as if your speakers will be very close together in that case! I'm not sure, but I think you'll find that your sub has a phono lead connection rather than speaker wire.

Good luck!

Regards

Jim :D

5. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes someone said the sub is phono, i have a spare cheap phono for now.

the front speakers will be about 1.5 metres apart on either side of the cabinet my tv is on but i will only be sitting about 2 metres away from it anyway, the room is only 3.5 metres by 5.5.

yes it is very expensive, but i hope it will be a HELL of a lot better than my friends Videologic DigiTheatre which was about £350 for amp, speakers, and cable.