1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on Samsung - LE26R41BDX

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by YogiBear, Aug 5, 2005.

1. YogiBear

YogiBear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know NOTHING about LCD TV's :eek:

However, I am going to buy one shortly and on my shortlist is this model; Samsung - LE26R41BDX. I just wondered if those who already have one would recommend it? I don't want it for gaming, no connecting to a PC, I just want it as a TV. Mainly for SKY, I watch a fair bit of sports, so I'd really like a set that can handle fast movement.

I'd like a set that is HDTV ready, (this model is) and it is just about in my price range; I've found one online for £609, which seems pretty good to me. ANY advice, tips, suggestions much appreciated :thumbsup:

2. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I'm very happy with my TV and once the admittedly minor 60Hz tearing issue has been sorted out via a firmware update - it's restricted to 720p component video and HDMI though - I'll be happier still.

The TV gives decent output via RGB SCART from Sky Digital and handles fast movement as well as any CRT as far as I can see. I watched the rugby league last Saturday and it was great with no blurring or ghosting and minimal bleeding. The 12ms response time helps minimise smearing in fast moving images. It looked far better than it ever did on my 28" Panasonic 100Hz CRT TV, which had players' shirts bleeding badly into the grass! Obviously that's me but you might see things I don't so I suggest you take a look at one in a shop first before buying it.

The TV has a HDMI connector so it's all ready for Sky Hi-Def service when it launches next year - although you'll need to buy the box obviously. In fact, the TV really shines with high-definition sources like upscaled DVD movies and games via component video.

The picture quality is excellent with decent (but not perfect) blacks - you can increase the contrast to a dynamic 3000:1 though which helps improve them further as the cost of losing detail elsewhere - but you can't adjust the backlight manually so that might annoy you. However, unlike some LCDs I've seen the light is even so you don't get bright areas around the edges (my PC TFT suffers from this). Also you can't set picture settings for each input which is slightly disappointing.

All-in-all it's a great TV for the price but to see it at it's best you really need to be running it with high-definition sources not terrestrial TV and Sky.

3. YogiBear

YogiBear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great stuff. Thanks for taking the time to reply :thumbsup: