1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on rear-centre speaker purchase....

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Argento, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered a Marantz SR4300 amp, and am hoping to get my dvd rigged up with new speakers to get the best out of my dvd-a's i've just bought.

Currently using jpw mini monitors - which are - well - poor.

Looking at getting new speakers around the room, the biggest mystery is the centre rear speaker.... do I just buy the same speaker as my front centre?

Any ideas for a "Budget" buyer.....

Rich

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You pretty much have it spot on.

Speaker wise, some of the Kef, Tannoy and Mission deals are very good.

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the surround back I would tend to stick with the same speaker as you have or will be getting for the surrounds, providing they are going to be monopoles, I find that monopoles work best for me, did try a dedicated centre once when I first jumped up to 6.1/7.1, didn't like the results one bit. Think this was due to the poor quality of centre speaker, which IMO most are, and I was using a dedicated centre for which is really a surround F/X channel.

Have just put a system together with six identical speakers for my nephew and the results are outstanding. Used 3xpairs Tannoy MX1's and Velodyne CHT-10 sub all hooked up to a Denon 1803. I found this to work really well, might be worth looking at.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    DVDA tend to be mastered differently from DVD Video and they are normally mastered with all five speakers equidistant from the listening area.