Need Advice On Plasma

AFSTER

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi there

i am pretty new this board despite i have read a lot on info, u probs get this quetions all the time

i want a plasma and want to spend about £1,500 ish

i dont really mind if its not HDTV cos its not even out yet and by the time its out the tv that support will probs be cheaper than they are now and even better, so dont understand why people pay so much money now for something that isnt avail yet!!

i def want a 42 inch screen, which is the best choice to get, some have HDTV and Freview but quality is more important than anything :)

Sony KDEV42A12U
Panasonic TH42PE50WAL
Panasonic TH42PW7B
Philips 42PF7520D or 42PF5520

any comments, much appriciated

Cheers

one thing i have noticed with low definition screens is they can look a bit course due to the lower number of pixels

hi

what are you using with it?

do you need a tuner? do you have sky?

just my sony dvd player which is scart cable, dont get time for sky and all that other stuff but would like freeview for like ITV2 ;)

so you need a tuner then.

i did alot of research on this forum and on the web and decided on either the Panasonic TH42PE50WAL or a pwd7 - i went for the pwd7 because i didn't need the tuner.

you should find a TH42PE50WAL well within your budget.

You don't need a tuner at all, just a freeview box, if you prefer. Lots of choice there, HDD recording might be a thought.

MAW said:
You don't need a tuner at all, just a freeview box, if you prefer. Lots of choice there, HDD recording might be a thought.

sorry MAW i'm a relative noob here. well that would be a tuner then would it? :confused:

ok, just done my research. :lesson: so you can buy a separate tuner - a "freeview box" ;) and plug into your existing aerial.

I will probs buy from rgb direct if i can, they seem ok

i need one that i can mount on the wall

So then u fine people thik that TH42PE50WAL is the best to go for then

or what about TH42PE50B or TH42PWD8BS

Sony KDEV42A12U

Anyone aware of what's happening with this Sony V42 plasma?

I was told by my local Sony Centre that this plasma will not be released.. as Sony have discontinued plasmas..

But just looking around the other day, I came across this site which is selling the V42 but says its a 'limited edition' plasma and only a small quantity will be available.

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/stoneaudio/products/details.asp?product=1650

Its priced at £1545.. and is HD-Ready with HDMI...

For £1500 I would buy a 42PWD7, a freeview box and a surround sound system. If you de this you will be getting yourself a whole new "home cinema" instead of just a new tv. AV-Sales will sell you a screen for £1150 including a 3 year warranty, stand (or wall mount) and a connection board (try and get a scart one). Get a freeview box and a surround system with scart output and you are good to go. Connect surround sound and freeview to screen using a scart switcher (very cheap in asda).
If avsales dont have any left, richer sounds will sell you the screen for £999, get a wall mount from ebay for £50, a scart board from ebay for £80, a £60 freeview box, a decent surround/dvd system for about £200 and you will still have £100 left over for cables.
Thats is what I did anyway and I am over the moon with my set up.

AFSTER said:
So then u fine people thik that TH42PE50WAL is the best to go for then

or what about TH42PE50B or TH42PWD8BS

it depends what your requirements are. i have the pwd7 as sandman suggested and am very happy with it. some say that the panel only plasmas offer better PQ :) the panel only also looks better (imho) because it consists of only the (black) frame without speakers etc.

Its just if i get freeview box then the wires will show when attached on the wall lol, as i have already plastered over the scart cable for tv to dvd player

the sony dvd player has surround sound and dts and everything with it, so couldnt i just plug the tv into that use he speakers from that

Or just grab the 42" PE50-WALL with built in freeview =)

AFSTER said:
Its just if i get freeview box then the wires will show when attached on the wall lol, as i have already plastered over the scart cable for tv to dvd player

the sony dvd player has surround sound and dts and everything with it, so couldnt i just plug the tv into that use he speakers from that

No, you will only need 1 scart cable going to the tv. Get a scart switch box (about £8) and connect both freeview and the dvd player to this then there will be only 1 scart cable going from this to the tv. Remember the PWD7 doesnt have speakers though so the surround/dvd system is required.

ahh didnt think about it like that Sandman

i basically paying a bit of money and wana make sure i get a good screen

anything future proof it a bonus :)

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Ahhh and she was gorgeous, memories :rolleyes:

Afster, it's not the TV only that needs to be future proof! You have shot yourself in the foot. Get the plaster out again, WHATEVER plasma you put up there, you MUST have HDMI or DVI cable to it. PE50 is in no way future proof, no 720p on any input, and no digital input anyway. Just a scart cable is no way to wire for any flat panel. What about power too, while you are there?

I have got power and arial on the wall, like in the middle so the plasma will cover it then one end of scar next to the power and then other end is at the bottom to connect to the dvd player

All you can do with that is a PE50 or similar. No hi def, no future proof, no x-box 360, progressive scan DVD, PS3. Like has been said, your only option is a scart switch at the bottom. I suppose a PW7 could work, but an 8 would be wasted.

anybody know anywhere that like buy now pay next year?

thinking about maybe just getting the PV500

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom