Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Need advice on Opus multiroom system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by dreamer_andy, May 17, 2004.

1. dreamer_andy

dreamer_andy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,
    I will hopefully be installing a multiroom sytem in a friend's house and, as I am hoping on setting up a custom installation business, it needs to go smoothly!

I think the opus system looks the most suitable but I have a few questions.

1) Can the keypads (WCU500) be placed in swimming pool areas?

2) Will the DZM 20 Amp be powerful enough for 4 Linn Sweetspots?

3) Can normal CAT5e cable be run between the amp and the keypad or does it need to be the BTC1 cable supplied by Opus?

4) Will 2 QED Arias speakers connected to the DZM 20 be sufficient in an indoor swimming pool area or will I need more power or more speakers or both?

Any advice anyone can offer me will be great!

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
    Andy,

Good luck in your venture. I believe that cabling answer is best dealt with by Opus or one of their dealers. I do not know. You should also ask them about the electical safety of putting them in wet areas. I'd imagie the voltage in them is low but they may do a waterproof version for this specific application.

Sweetspots...Speaker of last resort quite frankly. Look physically nice, sound dire unless in huge amounts with partnering sub.

Swimming pools. Having done systems with one massive pair of speakers in a pool and multiple pairs of smaller speakers I would go with multiple pairs of smaller speakers always. It's easier to get consistent audio coverage at decent levels with lots of pairs of small speakers. Linn's little plastic chaps are good for this as are Boston Acoustics waterproof units.

Gordon

3. dreamer_andy

dreamer_andy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quik reply gordon,
    I spoke to the guy at opus this morning and he has said much the same. He said i should avoid the sweetspots, especially as i am planning on using one DZM20 to power 4 speakers in one zone.

He also said that the keypads are ok in high humidity areas but are not splash-proof. Opus dont have a splash-proof version and dont make any waterproof housings. They are planning on making a splash-proof keypad though.

I think i will budget for multiple pairs of speakers in the pool area as you suggested, to be on the safe side.

Thanks for your advice, I can keep you updated on the project if you're intersted.

4. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I would recommend going for the DZM50 (50watt) if you need to run 4 speakers