Need advice on new projector

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I've been into home cinema for several years, I'm still a relative n00b in technical terms.

Basically I need some help.....

I'm looking to get into front projection, but my budget is MAX £1400 including a screen.

My DVD player is a Pioneer 646a, which doesn't have RGB video. (annoys me as I bought it only recently, wish I'd had the forethought to think ahead).

So.....

What are my options?

I'm thinking of possibly the panny, or the Sony HS-1 (varied views on both from the many threads I've seen on these 2), or possibly even a 2nd hand model (probably LCD only though).

Not sure if anyone has one of these projectors and the DVD player I've got, but I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has any views!

The other option is to go for the Sanyo PLV-30, but I think that's out of my price range (where's the cheapest I could find this one?) - unless I get one second hand.

If I DO go the second hand route, what could I get for around the £1000 mark?

Cheers
Smurfin

Smurfin,
New projector prices have tumbled in the last year. Reasonable entry level stuff used to cost around £2k, you can now get into projection for less than £1300 new.

I think Sanyo have reduced their prices recently. I like this projector; it's a good solid performer if a little noisy compared to the Sony and Pana.

As you know, the Panny is the only super budget projector to feature a 16:9 panel. It is also one of the cheapest dedicate HC projectors. Reliability remains an issue (but that's what the warranty is for, right?) and there is some question over the lamp life and its replacement cost.

The Sony is a very "life style" focused product, but the brightest of this group. It isn't designed for ceiling mounting (although there is a work around) and higher quality inputs require the use of special "Sony only" adapter cables.

Because entry level has become so competitive, it is probably best to buy new rather than secondhand.

Regards

Cheers Chris, wheres a good place to shop for the Sanyo? Any ideas?

Also whats the best way of connecting the projector to the DVD player? I assume (n00b remember!) S-Video?

With your budget you have a few options

Panasonic AE-100
Sony VPL-HS1
Sanyo PLV-30

There are probably some more but these are probably the most popular first time projectors for most people. Each one has its own problems/flaws like everything else you buy. The best thing you can do is demo each unit and see which is the best for you.

You may also want to wait a few months because theres been rumours about the Panasonic AE-101 and Sony VPL-HS2 being launched very soon. Although in the home cinema market that few months could be many more and often spread by unconfirmed reports.

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/products/contents/contentsvisionrange.htm#front projectors and screens do the Sanyo PLV-30 for £1499.95 which I think is the cheapest I have seen it for. The Panasonic AE-100 goes for about £1200 and the Sony VPL-HS1 is about £1400.

Some good price check sites
http://uk.pricerunner.com (does not list everyone..as you can see the cheapest it found the PLV-30 for was £1800..) - its a good idea to visit most of the big electrical internet sites and phone around.

/James

Yes, you are stuck with S video, if you want a straight connection. But...ta ta ta ta ta.......www.lektropacks.co.uk appear to be doing a a converter for SCART to component for 75 quid. You would have to check that it is definitely designed for this purpose. they have contact details on the site.

I got my Sanyo from the HIFI council in oldham for 1695.00
0161 633 2602 nice chaps.

Originally posted by karkus30
lektropacks...converter for SCART to component

Be careful, SCART isn't a signal type, it is a connection plug.

A SCART plug can be wired with Composite (lowest quality), S-Video or RGB. It very much depends on what the manufacturer chooses to include.

Component is not normally carried by the SCART plug, it is usually carried by 3 x phono sockets. The exception to this rule is ARCAM. I believe some of their DVD players are wired for Component via the SCART, but this is very unusual.

Converting from RGB to Component is worth doing. In broad terms both signals are of equal quality.

Going S-Video to Component is less worthwhile. The signal has already been degraded, so conversion is unlikely to reverse the losses. The cost of a converter would be better used upgrading to a better DVD player.

Regards

Chris,

Seeing as you work for Philips do you know anything about the new home cinema PJ "Garbo LC6231" it looks fairly interesting....

Any idea of price?

Garbo - 3 x 16:9 LCD panels (853x480). 1000 ANSI. Contrast around 400:1. 6000hr lamp at full power and just 29dB fan noise.

Part of a new range of Home Cinema projectors using Philips own inhouse TV decoder and screen driver chip technology.

Prices have yet to be finalised, but Garbo expected to sell for around £1700.

There will also be a Garbo Matchline version with higher brightness, some internal tweaks and to some supplied with a Pronto Neo learning remote.

Regards

The Garbo is now in Dixons for £1700................ Have you seen one in action, if so what do/did you think?

Chris:
Any more details on the Garbo projector? - sounds good, but do you have links to PDFs of the brochure or full tech specs, release date etc.? Any info on dealers in Ireland who will be stocking this?

I use a v.old front-projection CRT TV (and I mean old - at least 20 years!). I'm looking for something to resolve the extra detail on DVD, and a 16x9 LCD sounds like just the thing (and certainly is from the demos I've seen). The Panasonic worries me due to faults etc., so this new Philips model sounds very interesting...

Thanks,
ijc

Originally posted by Chris Frost

Be careful, SCART isn't a signal type, it is a connection plug.

A SCART plug can be wired with Composite (lowest quality), S-Video or RGB. It very much depends on what the manufacturer chooses to include.

Component is not normally carried by the SCART plug, it is usually carried by 3 x phono sockets. The exception to this rule is ARCAM. I believe some of their DVD players are wired for Component via the SCART, but this is very unusual.

Converting from RGB to Component is worth doing. In broad terms both signals are of equal quality.

Going S-Video to Component is less worthwhile. The signal has already been degraded, so conversion is unlikely to reverse the losses. The cost of a converter would be better used upgrading to a better DVD player.

Regards

Ok now for more n00bness....Chris what exactly are you saying? Is S-Video to S-video crap?:confused:

Disco,
Are you sure it was the Garbo you saw in Dixons, and not one of the bSure models which look very similar?

The Garbo projectors haven't yet been launched throughout Western Europe (including the UK), so it is very unlikely that Dixons have them. However, the Garbo uses the same chassis as the bSure, so it is easy to confuse the two products.

The bSure SV1 is our commercial presentation projector with 6000 hour lamp life. It uses a 4:3 panel, and although capable of displaying video (including progressive scan) it is really designed for use with a PC.

Regards

Originally posted by Smurfin
Ok now for more n00bness....Chris what exactly are you saying? Is S-Video to S-video crap?:confused:

No, S-Video to S-Video isn't c**p. In fact most ordinary people can't tell it from RGB or Component. Yes, these two signal formats are better, but the difference isn't as big as the improvement going from composite to S-Video.

Use S-Video. It's what I use at home when I'm hooking up a projector for casual viewing.:)

Regards

Originally posted by Chris Frost

Regards

Yes, the lectropacks site mentions RGB to component converter.
' this simple, low cost converter lets you connect the RGB from your digibox or Scart enabled DVD player to any plasma screen, PJ or high end amp. Easy connection- Scart input / 3 x RCA output.
Gives best picture utilizing your YUV input '

Chris,

Probably not the Garbo then!! I just happened to notice it while looking at laptops. I've only seen the picture of the Garbo in the new Philips catalogue, thus it caught my eye. (although in the catalogue the bSure is a different colour to the one I saw)

Bit of an odd question but: Will the Garbo be supported (consumer after sales contact) by the department that currently deals with presentation projectors or will the consumer electronic department deal with it?

Chris,

I have a vague connection to Philips (Consumer Electronics) if they are supporting it rather than PC peripherals I could probably blag one (or get a demo in Croydon) for a home weekend test.

I'll probably be getting a new PJ soon anyway if this is any good it'll be a contender.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom