Need Advice on new camera

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Terry D, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Terry D

Terry D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Old camera just died, a service was held and buried in the garden next to the cat (cat was upset as he's not dead yet). No on a more serious note, I need to replace it ASAP (camera not cat) as my grandson birthday is next week. I have got no more than £200 to spend, I normally take pics of the usual subjects: landscapes, parties etc. I was thinking of the likes of the Fuji S6500 or the Canon A710 is (something with a larger than average zoom). Can some knowledgeable person please help a slightly confused old (ish) man.

:lease: :lease: :lease:

2. Terry D

Terry D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please someone help!!!!!! I need to purchase this weekend.

3. Terry D

Terry D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please someone help!!!!!! I need to purchase this weekend.

4. Terry D

Terry D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about a Canon PowerShot S3 IS off ebay? how does it compare to the S6500?

5. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Ahoy Terry!

For starters, try this. It has pretty much all the features you'll ever need, and more. Specs and review here.

You'll have change to buy a bigger SD card and a spare battery. Also, have a look at eBay item: 180108424914.

6. Terry D

Terry D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply, isn't the TZ7 a bit noisy? If so will I notice it (prints up to A4)? Also will a 28mm lens be better for landscapes etc?

7. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Ahoy!

I have it's much older cousin. As a matter of course when post processing, I run all my images via noise reduction if the software has it OR you can get free versions of Neat Image or Noise Ninja. It isn't an issue at all. I have 10x12s which look superb framed.

If you can better for the money, then go for it. It was merely a qualified suggestion based on your budget and list of requirements.

Happy hunting.

8. Terry D

Terry D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for the advice. Will be nipping down to Jessops to fondle one and if it feel good I will place my order today. Cheers

9. pmjoyce

pmjoyce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Terry,

I own a 6500FD and have to say I'm very pleased with it. You can pick it up and shoot if you want but there's plenty of scope for tweaking also. It has a 10x zoom but no hardware image stabilisation. The face detection technology was a little gimmicky I thought but have now grown to really like it despite my initial impressions. Battery life is reasonable and the build quality is top notch.

Good luck!

10. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217

Let us know how you got on. You'll not find lower prices than those I've linked to as far as I know.

Hope it was all you were hoping it to be.

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    M dad has one and its very good easy to use or you can get indepth if you need if yu know a good £200 compact that uses SD cards do let me know as my mum is after one

12. Von Ryan

Von Ryan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Well! went and got a S6500, as I already had the batteries and xD cards from my old S5600. Another deciding factor was my father gets discount at PCworld/Currys etc so I got it for £174, they did not have a FZ7/8. Just got to wait for the good weather to return and get out there and take some pics.

Thanks everyone for you advice.

Pete