1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on how to best set up my lcd tv.

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Rob20, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Just received Toshiba's 26WL46B 26" lcd today and have had a quick look at the various picture settings. Frankly I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. I have no idea how to get the best picture out of it. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. :confused:

2. Prodigal

Prodigal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In order to get the best pic out of your LCD TV, you need to invest on either a DVE or Avia calibration disc. They will guild you to set up the brightness/contrast/colour saturation/colour temp... step by step.

DVE is cheaper but it's disc navigation menu is just pain in the a**.

You can check up the following thread.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142495

IMHO, the PQ of this Toshiba LCD TV is one of the best, and the selling price is very attractive.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The most important things to do with an LCD TV are to get the brightness and contrast set up so as to get the most out of the panel. Here are some simple techniques you can try - if you use both PAL and NTSC sources (eg a multiregion DVD) you may need to do this separately for PAL and NTSC. If you are using different inputs (eg RGB for DVD, composite for VCR etc) you may need to do this for each. However, start with DVD:

1: Set black level by adjusting brightness; here, I'm talking about brightness that adjusts the LCDs; if your set also has a brigtness control that adjusts the intensity of the backlight, set it to maximum for the moment.

Take any DVD which is letterboxed - i.e. has plain black bars above and below, encoded onto the disc itself. Any film which is 2.35:1 will do. Play it. Set the TV to 4x3 ratio (the image may well be distorted, but the important thing is that you can see the plain black above and below NEXT TO the plain black put there by the TV to the left and right. Now, adjust the brightness control to a point where you can clearly see that the disc's black is brighter than the set's. Now reduce brightness to exactly the point where they become the same (no more) and then increase it by one "notch". You should literally only just see any difference. You have now set your brightness. Leave it there.

2: Set white level by adjusting contrast. This is more tricky. You may need to try several diferent discs to find one that will help. The trick here is to adjust contrast as high as it will go, but without causing anything that is <nearly but not quite full white> to become the same as full white.

If you have any discs with THX Optimiser on them (any THX certified title should have) then there are test patterns you can use to help. Whilst in theory these tests are for the specific disc, in most cases they do work for other titles as well.

3: Other settings. Colour to your preference. Backlight brightness (if adjustable) to your preference. Any noise reduction features are best left off. Any sharpening controls are best left at the neutral position.

4. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Cheers for the advice. Never been sure about setting up picture quality. Will attempt to set it up properly tomorrow. Have a few THX discs somewhere. If I can't get a picture I'm happy with I'll try one of those HC set up discs.

By the way, I have a digital ntl box connected via RGB to the rec input of my Pan 85 dvdr player. I've then connected that to the Toshiba via component lead and prog scan. I also have a Gamecube connected via RGB, and a composite scart out from the NTL box connected to another scart on the tv. Though I'll be looking to set up the picture mainly for the dvd PQ.