1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice on hi-def gaming

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by General-Zod, Sep 10, 2005.

1. General-Zod

General-Zod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody,

This is my first post on the forums.

As it looks as though I'll be running into some money in a few weeks I've made up my mind to buy myself a new tv.

Now... I am an avid gamer and dvd fan. I am most certainly going to purchase the Xbox 360 on release. What I want is a tv that is going to give me the best combined gaming and dvd experience.

I would love high-definition and a larger screen size. My budget will be around £1000 - £1,100. To see Halo 2 running on high-def would be something of a dream come true.

Can you guys here help me realise this ambition?

Pleeeease.......

2. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
  3. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you play Halo 2 which was designed for the Xbox 1 on the Xbox 360, it will only play at 576P, if a game is to be high definition, it has to be built to accommodate this resolution, Halo and most other Xbox 1 games have not. :mad:

4. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I heard some speculation of them releasing a halo 2.5 which was halo 2 with a bit of funk, designed for Xbox 360 and as a filler between halo 2 and halo 3 in 2007

5. General-Zod

General-Zod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. General-Zod

General-Zod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also... are there any very good CRT tvs that might be an option????

Please help if you can.... I get more confused the more I think about all of this!!!!

7. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you going to buy a rear projection, get a DLP, I am getting one once Sky HD is up and running :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    As for Halo 2.5, sounds good :eek:

8. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You can hack the XBox with a software mod, its quite easy to do from what I read too and allows you to play your games in high(er) def, I think halo 2 worked fine up to 480p or somehting, i'll have a quickpoke about to see if I can find the link for you, its really easy to do and can be easily undone.

Turns out the link was on these forums :p

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223051

Hope this helps

9. General-Zod

General-Zod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes...

I found that article on using a modded box to play back high(er) def. The problem I have with this is that I play almost entirely online and Bungie (as far as I am aware) instantly ban anybody who uses a modded box (of any sorts) online.

That kind of ruins that idea :(

At the moment it looks like a DLP RPTV might be the way to go. Any more info on this?

10. bru_tek

bru_tek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Costco have dropped the price of the Toshiba 46" DLP (the 46WM48) to £1100 including VAT. It looks like they're clearing stock for the arrival of the 2nd gen' Tosh DLP's (which will cost a fair bit more as new tech - £2k for the 46", £2.5k-£3k for the 56", and £3k plus for the 62").

As for the here and now? The current 46" set is high-def ready and an absolute steal at that price. You may want to read some of the posts in the DLP projection forum though, some people have major issues with the set, others love it (as did Home Cinema Choice early this year, who gave it a 5/5).

If you know someone who's a member of Costco or you're able to join yourself, it may well be worth a look! You get a free stand and a full three year warranty for your money. We're off to pick up our 52" version today specifically for our gaming room (360 is already preordered and pending) - £1700 for that beast is a bargain. If I don't like it, I'll just take it right back in the pickup and grab my refund.

Hope this helps!

11. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    for best image quality, get a 32" for that price.

for best size, get a sanyo Z3 or panasonic AE700 projector - too big for normal TV/gaming though.

Both options about a grand

12. Dr Phibes

Dr Phibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not quite true, I have a soft modded Xbox, which I used just to change the video output to NTSC and get progressive scan.
    I haven't kept the Evo-x dashboard or any of the other features. I used the video switcher then removed all of the software after using it.
    I play regularly on Live and have had no problems, I was playing Halo2 on Thursday(after downloading the maps and the latest Live update) and have played PGR2, Moto GP3 and Rainbow 6 all without problem over the weekend.

I also have a DLP tv and I'm really happy with it, shows 720p and 1080i. :)

13. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Good news for Zod :)

I've been considering getting an Xbox to do this mod, my only problem is my brother has an Xbox too which would mean two Xbox's in the house, I wouldn't however want to mod his because that would mean he's want to play it on my PV500, that my friends would terrify me, he's 14 next month but the thought of him poking at my plasma would give me a coronary. I'll probably wait it out another 2 months for the XBox 360 though as its either £100 now and then £280 in 2 months or just £280 in two months, enough time to save :p

14. beasty54

beasty54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    sorry double post

15. beasty54

beasty54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    I have a CRT TV capable of 480p via component, although i know this isn't true HD it will do for now. Ive just orderd the Microsoft HD pack so i can play imported NTSC games in 480p
    I install xbox modchips for people so am very familiar with the modding scene. As someone stated if you mainly play on live having the cables for HD is pointless as PAL games dont support HD. Using a softmod to enable NTSC video mode is ok for enabling progressive scan but this doesn't change the xboxes region code so still wouldn't allow you to play NTSC games in high definition on xbox live. The best way to get HD on a pal xbox is to install a modchip so you can play NTSC games (offline only) the modchip can then be disabled so you can play on xbox live with your pal games again

UPDATE: after doin a bit more research it seems that MOST PAL games still contain the HD code so for example.....the PAL version of HALO 2 will run in 480p but some games EA will look for the PAL videomode and if still running in NTSC mode, the game will refuse to work