Need advice on freeview television picture

Rogue212

Standard Member
Hi, i've just bought a goodmans 28" CRT freeview television, model GTV69RFDT and need some advice about some problems with the picture and if this is due to the television or the signal.

When watching the tv i'm getting a lot of what i now know is called mosquito noise, this can vary, for example it can be quite bad on a certain advert, then i've watched the same ad and its been ok.

But the worse problem is when watching a program and there is suddenly rapid movement, the picture or the part where there's rapid movement turns all blocky or whats known as artifacts appear.
It's like when you watch a mobile phone video, all that blocky stuff etc, if its horse racing the legs just turn into blocky chunks.

Is this the tv, being cheap i mean or is this due to the nature of the freeview signal, i'm just confused as these affects are normally associated with LCD or Plasma tv's, should i change it or is this normal, thanx for your time and help.

Starburst

Novice Member
It sounds more like the poor quality of the digital channels you are watching, the problems have always existed but CRT's have tended to hide them while larger flat panels show up all the flaws with the digital broadcasts.
That said there is certainly variable performance in DTT (Freeview) receivers even those that are integrated into a TV so you may actually get a better picture form an external Freeview box hooked up by scart.
However DTT broadcasts are far from perfect and it may be that this new telly is simply showing them more clearly than your older one was capable of doing and digital processing (100hz scanning, noise reduction, smooth motion etc) don't help either.

If you can borrow a friends Freeview box for an hour and watch ITV1 when it's showing footy or some flashy studio show then that should give you an indication.

ROYOLD

Novice Member
It is more than likely due to apoor signal from the aerial. The freeview transmissions are on far lower power than analogue broadcasts and require direct line of sight for reception.

You may need an aerial upgrade with possibly a masthead amplifier.

You could try a one outlet TV booster to increase the aerial signal but it may not work.

Put your postcode into this website to see what aerial they suggest :

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

Rogue212

Standard Member
Thanks for all your replies, i've tried my old stand alone Samsung freeview box with the new tele but it does the same thing, yet with my old 21" Samsung tele and this box i didn't get any of these problems.

Saying that when the weather was bad i couldn't get any picture at all with the old Samsung set up, it would do the classic big black squares and jumpy sound or nothing at all, could it be the weather causing these effects with my new set up.

The signal bar at the bottom is always excellent and i'm in a prime reception spot but i will check out my aerial setup as you've suggested.
Its probably what has been mentioned, that my new tv being a flat panel is just making these effects more noticible or worse but it just the fact that one minute it seems ok then suddenly its gets really bad again.

I can change my tv, i was thinking about the JVC 28" flat panel, do you think this would be a better choice, i,ve heard they have bad geometary problems though, if thats the right term? or any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanx for all the help and advice.

csbinstallation

Standard Member
This blockyness on your tv is not your aerial it is the poor quality of the pixel content on your television
I bet it wasnt like that on your stand alone freeview box on your old tv. You get what you pay for with your tv's.
:thumbsdow

J7MAN

This blockyness on your tv is not your aerial it is the poor quality of the pixel content on your television
I bet it wasnt like that on your stand alone freeview box on your old tv. You get what you pay for with your tv's.
:thumbsdow
:rolleyes:

ROYOLD

Novice Member
Blockiness on the TV picture with freeview is usually down to bad signal quality. It's actually the QUALITY of the signal being received and not the signal strength. In periods of heavy rain squalls, strong winds with waving trees I sometimes get blockiness on my TV's mainly on the ITV and 4 and 5 channels because their transmissions are weaker than the BBC transmissions. It also affects my LCD TV's more than the 28" CRT TV I have.

We get the analogue switch off here in early 2009 when the freeview transmitters go to full power and hopefully all these problems will cease.

Rogue212

Standard Member
I did notice that the ITV2, ITV3, UKTV History were the worst offenders, if you've seen that Disney holidays ad with the fireworks etc, its one that can be bad for this because it seems when there's high contrast it gets worse.

My old set up use to get blocky in poor weather, huge black blocks making it impossible to watch but this is different, the blocks are a lot smaller and i don't lose the picture, just when there,s rapid movement or when cuttng from one high contrast scene to another it can go blocky or i get very bad mosquito noise.

I'm really pleased with the picture and wish there was a way to know for sure if it was the signal quailty or just the tv, being cheap?, a can swap it for a JVC flat screen, thanx for your help

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom