Need advice On dolby atmos network stream receiver

tonnytech

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was hoping for some advice from fellow members , im after a dolby atmos setup and was looking originaly at the Onkyo HTS5805 with speakers :-

Onkyo Atmos 5.1.2 Package System inc Speakers excluding DVD Player

Im looking to stream my mkvs over my network with true HD from my pc to the receiver as the pc is the other end of the room. Can this amp do the above and if not can anyone suggest something that will ?? if I have to purchase the amp on its own im looking for something no more then £300 , then ill have to buy speakrs later.

Don't think k I've ever seen an AV amp with a built in video streamer. The streaming facility is for music only.

You would need either a direct HDMI connection from your PC or a separate streaming device hooked up to the amp.

Hi,

I was hoping for some advice from fellow members , im after a dolby atmos setup and was looking originaly at the Onkyo HTS5805 with speakers :-

Onkyo Atmos 5.1.2 Package System inc Speakers excluding DVD Player

Im looking to stream my mkvs over my network with true HD from my pc to the receiver as the pc is the other end of the room. Can this amp do the above and if not can anyone suggest something that will ?? if I have to purchase the amp on its own im looking for something no more then £300 , then ill have to buy speakrs later.

What are you wanting to stream from the PC to the receiver? You will not be able to stream video or multichannel audio because no AV receiver includes an inbuilt video media player or the ability to handle more than 2 channel audio in relation to the networking capabilities.

What are you wanting to stream from the PC to the receiver? You will not be able to stream video or multichannel audio because no AV receiver includes an inbuilt video media player or the ability to handle more than 2 channel audio in relation to the networking capabilities.

MKV UHDs with trued hd atmos.

Don't think k I've ever seen an AV amp with a built in video streamer. The streaming facility is for music only.

You would need either a direct HDMI connection from your PC or a separate streaming device hooked up to the amp.

Thanks for the replys guys greatly appreciated.

Seems I'm buggered then ... at the moment I stream them direct to LG C7 tv via network.

I wanted to upgrade to dolby atmos and thought I could use ARC however after reading turns out I can only send lossy over arc which Is why I thought stream straight to receiver. But it seems that option is gone :(

My only option then is as above separate streaming device or hdmi to receiver.

I am right that I cant pass through lossless Truehd via arc ?

eARC will allow a TV to output HD audio formats, but both the TV and the AV receiver would need to be eARC enabled. eARC is something commonly associated with HDMI version 2.1, although some of the manufacturers of HDMI version 2.0 equipped TVs and AV receivers have suggested that their most recent models will be updated to facilitate eARC.

So, am I right in saying that more than half a year later this is still impossible ? There are still no HDMI 2.1 TVs that have eARC ? Does anyone know if something like a Roku Premier+ would enable this ? Maybe connect the PC to the Roku then the Roku to AV Amp via HDMI then Amp to TV. Having said that I am struggling to find a Roku Premier+ in the UK.

There are both eARC enabled TVs and some AV receivers that have been updated to give them eARC capabilities. Neither the TVs or the AV receivers are equipped with HDMI version 2.1. THe TVs are the most current incarnations though and the receivers would need the most current incarnation of the HDMI chipset to allow them to be updated.

Also note that Sony Android equipped TVs as well as LG TVs now include an implementation of the Netflix app that fascilitates accessing Atmos soundtracks where applicable and outputting the audio via ARC or eARC. Only the most current Sony TVs have this ability.

You don't need or get either ARC or eARC abilities in association with source devices and you'd only ever get ARC with either a TV andAVR receivers r soundbars. A source with a dedicated HDMI output wouldn't need or have use of eARC.

Last edited:
I was considering a 2018 LG OLED but it seemed like they don't have eARC.

"A source with a dedicated HDMI output wouldn't need or have use of eARC." Yes that's what I thought, so something like a ROKU would avoid worrying about the whole eARC compatibitily issue and feeds the Amp directly, which then passes the video on to the TV.

What type of content are you wanting to access that includes the Atmos audio?

What type of content are you wanting to access that includes the Atmos audio?

The same as tonnytech, MKV x264/x265 HD with DD TrueHD Atmos, also DTS-HDMA.

Why not just connect the PC to the AVR directly? That will feed HD audio (including atmos) to the AVR, and the AVR will send the video through to the TV.

My PC is upstairs and my Amp/TV/Speakers are in the living room, connected with homeplug 1Gb.

Have you considered using an Nvidia Shield as a streamer?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom